1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer: He gone ... sort of

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think "indecisive" would be the best term. I'm sure he didn't plot to retire, then change it to a leave. I really don't understand the outrage, how a coach's decision, as odd as it is, turns into piss in the Corn Flakes.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd be willing to give such benefit of the doubt to someone who didn't have a well-established career pattern of saying one thing and then doing another.

I can't pretend to know why he did it. I can look at his track record and surmise that his motives may not have been pure.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Fnord.

4. dooley_womack1

Because, of course, 'slave, every coach is honest when they're being wooed for another job or considering another job. If you're basing the vitriol upon these instances, it's silly; coaches will never tell the truth in that context.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

For the love of piss, I don't even know where to begin with this.

1.) I don't think I've picked apart Meyer here, but if I have, tough shit. You live a public life and make millions in salary and play 14 games a year in front of 100,000 people, your life is picked apart. don't like it? Go coach D-III somewhere.

2.) How the hell do you know what I do when I get face-to-face with these people? If you want to get into a dick swinging match over confrontations/arguments we've had with subjects, or our willingness to ask tough questions, or need proof thereof, let me know. I'm pretty sure, given your eagerness to protect just about every athlete or personality who is "slighted" here (LEAVE RICK STANSBURY ALONE!!!!) that I'll have a tremendous edge over you there.

3.) Where in the hell did I ever say I felt "licensed" to pick people apart?

You are so full of crap here, you have me siding with hondo.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Exactly, dooley. I'm always amazed by reporters who insist that coaches give an answer to the question, "Are you interested in the job at (fill in the blank)," then expect a definitive answer to stand for all time. Usually, the reporter will find a way to rip the coach whatever he does or doesn't say. I tend to ask people to think about when they've searched for a job or been contacted about one. Even among friends, people are somewhat reluctant to talk for fear of reprisal, blowing the deal, or whatever.

Often, a person really doesn't know what he or she will do. Mixed emotions, etc.

But we expect coaches to jump through our hoops.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

These are largely state employees, highly compensated on the dime of the people. Honesty should be a job requirement.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This -- and what Beej said.

9. Johnny Dangerously

And I should be better paid, but I'm not. And people should be nicer, but they're not.

By the way, which liar are we talking about? I've been busy.

10. dooley_womack1

Actually, much of their salaries are paid by boosters. And state employees are required to do their job honestly. What they do off the clock (e.g., look for other jobs), as long as it doesn't lead to corruption in how they use state money or power, doesn't require that.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You can do your job honestly without being up front and transparent about your future career goals, too.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If they're looking for another job, and someone finds out about it, hell yes they should be accountable for it.

Make an argument that they don't have to announce it, fine. But if there's evidence to suggest they're looking elsewhere, and they're presented with that evidence, then they should have the balls to come clean about it. If it pisses off the fan base, or their AD, or their players, then tough shit. That's the consequence of looking elsewhere.

You're telling me the fans of Utah, or Bowling Green, or Central Michigan, or Cincinnati, should be expected to sit on their hands and not ask any questions while their coach flirts with another program? And that if their coach flirts with another program and doesn't get hired, that that coach should be able to return to his normal duties as if nothing happened?

There shouldn't be an expectation that these guys are gonna lie just because they're asked a difficult question, nor should excuses be made when they do lie and are inevitably caught in it.

We wouldn't countenance it if a governor was looking for a private-sector job, we found out about it and he told us either to mind our own business or that he wasn't really looking. Why is it any different with a coach?

Draft saved Draft deleted