1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USAT reorg

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1HPGrad, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Jarrett Bell is. But you're somewhat missing my point. They have incredible talent there and they're wasting it by having them write 8-inch stories. There are a lot of people there who were must-reads at their previous paper who haven't written almost anything of substance since they've been at USA Today. They do a couple amazing projects each year, but with few exceptions, most of the things they do are 8-12 inch gamers.

2. Mizzougrad96

I agree with almost everything Geddy has posted.

3. yawho?

yawho? New Member

The managing editor at Yahoo! Sports is Filipino. The assistant managing editors are a Jewish guy and a Latina. The person in charge of Olympics coverage, which is a very big deal at Yahoo! because of the clicks it generates for the Yahoo.com front page, is a woman.

The first two preceded Morgan at Yahoo!, but Morgan hired the latter two and he promoted all four of them into their current positions before he left the company. But hey, don't let that get in the way of the "Morgan doesn't like minorities and women" bullshit.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

At an AWSM convention in Miami in 2008 Karen Crouse asked Morgan, who was speaking on a panel, how many women he had hired. He said none. He may have subsequently hired two, but that is where the "bullshit" comes from.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Which is an improvement from 10 years ago, when they had to write 6-inch gamers.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Which is pretty much their mission, no? I'm not being snarky (at least not totally). It's an airport/hotel paper. Gimme a little on everything, maybe a lot on one thing but not two things. And a whole lot of weather.

7. Mizzougrad96

Right. But you can do that with kids straight out of J-school for $35K a year. You don't need to raid staffs of their best writers, pay them close to $100K a year and then have them do the same thing.

I had two former co-workers who were hired away by USA Today. One was considered the best beat writer on staff and the other was probably considered the top young talent on staff. Both are still there more than a decade later and while they've covered everything from the Super Bowl to Olympics to Final Fours, they write about 2-3 times a week and I can't tell you the last time either wrote anything even resembling a feature.

Love or hate USA Today, it is very good at what it does. They just don't need to pay top dollar for it.

8. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

10 weeks off? Man, I KNEW I should've re-negotiated.

Kidding -- we've established pretty well that they don't distribute the workload evenly. But the cushy-job folks can indeed find their jobs in jeopardy. Jill Lieber was a pretty big hire for them back in the day. She's gone.

You've gone on to point out a few things I was also going to say. Their mission really has been to do a professional job with hotel-paper headlines. The sports department was indispensible in the pre-Web days for one very big reason -- they had all the stats. If you ran a fantasy league, you picked up USA TODAY, at *least* on the days they ran the complete package for the league in question. Period.

In the Web years, they could've gone down two roads. They could've fought to keep their rep as the stat-keeper of record. Or they could've made an effort to develop personalities -- the "must-reads" we've been discussing. They did neither. They did Web stats on the cheap and got blown away by Yahoo and ESPN. They actually cut back on columnists and distinctive voices.

A few years ago, they had two daily spaces for long-form writing -- the cover story and the 3C "Focus" piece. The 3C pieces went away when they unveiled Page 3.0.

Remember, too, that they fell in love with interactive journalism for a while. They wound up sending an inadvertent message: "You may not care what we have to say, but we care what YOU have to say." They've back away from that a bit, perhaps realizing that their readers really DON'T have anything interesting to say. And after tiptoeing into blogs, they finally put some emphasis on the general sports blog with Reid Cherner and Tom Weir.

I'd still argue that they have some of the top people in certain sports. You've mentioned Jarrett Bell. Kevin Allen on hockey. Sergio Non on MMA. Vicki Michaelis on Olympics. The college desk as a whole does good work, and I'd add in Erik Brady's takeouts. Steve DiMeglio on golf. The new-ish NBA tandem of Jeff Zillgitt and J. Michael Falgoust. Some are definitely off the beaten track -- you never know whether Gary Mihoces is going to pop up covering rodeo, wrestling, poker or whatever, but he's always a fun read.

We'll see how Beusse and Morgan value this group. Some of them would thrive if they were unleashed.

9. CNY

CNY Member

Sergio Non is a great example. I think he pretty much created the MMA beat at USAT as a blog when he was a web producer in news, and then his posts were so successful that they started running more MMA stories in print.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't sleep on my main man Nate Ryan on autos.

11. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

My bad -- they're good on autos, too. And not that many places do it well.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Does Lopresti still write the college football recap on Monday's?

I guess, technically, if he's still around, he writes for Gannett News Service and not USAT, but he does a damn fine job, or at least I always thought so.

And if he isn't the fastest writer on deadline, I'd like to know who his. Good lord, he could crank out some copy.

Draft saved Draft deleted