1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC and UCLA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was 10 in '81 so don't have the best memories of those games with the Vols. It'd be nice to see the series renewed sometime in the next few years. And I see your point about the bowl tie-ins, but still ...

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Also have to remember, these schedules are made 8-12 years out, so it's anyone's guess what the matchup will be a decade later. I would suspect when Nebraska and USC scheduled the game that no one at the time thought when the game came around the Trojans would be a two-touchdown favorite.

3. Songbird

Nebraska will be in it till the end. I'm just excited to see the Trojans and Huskers for the first time in my lifetime.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, they go there anyway sometimes.

Alabama played at UCLA in 2000.

Auburn played at USC in 2003.

Mississippi State played at Oregon.

Tennessee regularly goes to UCLA and goes to Cal next season.

FSU has gone to USC.

Miami has gone to UCLA and BYU and Washington.

5. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

My favorite game of last year ... outside of the classic ND-SC game which I've only seen on ESPN Classic ... was Boise State getting rocked by Georgia. No team in America needed to be put in perspective more than BSU, and Georgia did it beautifully. Thoroughly enjoyed every second of it. </idahofanboyrant>

Now, as for USC-Georgia ... that would be some tasty stuff. Saw SC hang a 16-0 loss on Auburn in Auburn a few years back and UCLA whip up on Alabama in Tuscaloosa in Dennis Franchione's first game. Nothing like a Pac-10 team going to an SEC track and wearing one of those bubbas out.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

True enough, but in the context I was referring more to the non-LA schools. There are examples ... Arkansas at SC was last year, or the year before? I'd argue the amount of western teams tripping east is greater than those coming the other direction.

7. Songbird

It'll be interesting to see which of the big dogs back east have the balls to go to Fresno State now that Pat Hill has built a contender.

8. BTExpress

Depends on the matchup.

A powerhouse will demand a home game.

A non-powerhouse needs a payday.

So while Tennessee was willing to go to Laramie to face Wyoming, the Cowboys needed the $2.5 million payday enough to agree to move the game to Nashville.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You mean Knoxville?

10. BTExpress

No. They played that Wyoming "home" game in Nashville.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

OK. Just wanted to check because I didn't know that.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Arkansas lost at USC last year 63-17.

USC opens at Fayetteville this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted