1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

I don't know. I've just got to wonder after the last two pages what rape claims WOULD pass your smell test. You just seem to be rubbing your hands a little too deliciously.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Which is why it's so distasteful how much glee some people are taking in all this. This girl probably was raped and had a terrible, horrifying experience. But building a narrative strictly off the memory of a person recalling their own horrifying experience is dangerous. There's a good chance it gets worse and worse in her mind each time she recalls it.

I have no idea how people act or talk in the middle of a gang rape, but unfortunately the response of her "friends" rings true.

But hey, the reporter might have screwed up. Frats are awesome after all. Hooray!

3. PW2

PW2 Member

What makes you think so?

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fratties are quietly mounting their defense, posting it on blogs. Erdely says she confirmed "Drew" worked at the pool, right?:

1. No Phi Psi brother worked at the Aquatic Fitness Center pool as a lifeguard during the entire year of 2012. No brother even worked at the Aquatic Fitness Center at all. They can prove this.

2. Phi Psi did not have a date function the weekend of September 28th. They did not even have a party. UVA Greek life is required to document any and all social events with the IFC in the week leading up to them. Phi Psi has this schedule available and the IFC can also show that there were no events at the house that weekend.

3. The article claims that this was some sort of pledging initiation for new brothers. While this is unbelievable from the start, it is also factually inaccurate. Phi Psi (like almost every other IFC fraternity) does not, and has not ever, taken pledges in the fall. UVA greek life rushes in the spring exclusively. Phi Psi is required to provide their national organization with proof of a formal initiation of every new brother when it happens. The entire pledge class was formally initiated in the Spring of 2012. The entire narrative of this being some savage rite of passage was the first red flag of this story, and it absolutely should have been.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Why are they called into question? Sure, it's just these women's word right now, but even if Erdely did make stuff up, seems to me that wouldn't reflect on the veracity of what amount to reader comments.

(If you want to cast doubt upon the reader comments based on the fact that they're reader comments, that's a different story entirely.)

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And just what do you think a soldier is? A trained, sanctioned murderer. Google "My Lai massacre" and take a long hard look at how many of those "patriots" served a damn minute of punishment.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The percentage of false rape accusations is remarkably low and she told her story to multiple people and reported it to an official at the school. She made a big mistake listening to her so-called friends and not going to the police right away.

8. PW2

PW2 Member

My guess is that it is significantly higher for cases in which the details appear to be complete and utter b.s.

9. jr/shotglass

Understand, the correct and right response to this story was to give the narrative some credence. That's it way it should have been. The fact that this doesn't normally happen is why so many rapes don't get reported.

If the facts begin falling, which they appear to be, it's not a victory for anyone. It's not a good thing. It's a loss.

10. PW2

PW2 Member

Why?

11. jr/shotglass

Because if you act like you're in the 1960s and tell the alleged victims to pipe down, you're a big part of the problem.

12. PW2

PW2 Member

I reject your premise. I don't think she's a victim.

Draft saved Draft deleted