1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. PW2

PW2 Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

We'll see. Like someone else posted, I'd sure like to hear Jackie tell the story herself. I have basically no opinion on whether she went through some kind of trauma or not. Her story as told by Rolling Stone is so unbelievable, not just in the details but the core allegations, that I am 99.9 percent sure that it could not have happened. Did something else happen? I don't know. If it did, she's embellished it 100 times over. Why?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you want your brains to not explode, don't check out the Chronicle of Higher Education's forum/thread on this.

http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,173941.15.html

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Too many negatives for me to parse. I'm going in!

4. PW2

PW2 Member

There appears to be a culture of rape supporters in which you absolutely do not question the truth of rape allegation. It seems like dogma. They've probably internalized it to a large degree, but Iwould guess that even if they knew something didn't add up here, they are bound by the cause to express belief no matter what.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think if this story turns out to be completely false, the main effect (if any) will be to slow these judiciary panels that are "investigating" and handing out campus punishments based on no standards whatsoever.

Which would be a good thing. They need to just beef up the local police force and run everything through the professionals. Leave the university to handle the parking tickets that are the extent of their expertise.

6. PW2

PW2 Member

Another idea I'm tired of, but have heard or read repeated a lot this week, is something along the lines of, "If you committed so-and-so crime, no one would question it." Yes, they would. People argue that something's not an assault or that a shooting was justified in self-defense or that the facts don't support an insider trading conviction. And so on.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear that in the fight to be the most anti-rape you can possibly be, some are willing to take indefensible positions:

Here's Ezra Klein, in a column that bore the headline, "Yes Means Yes" is a terrible law, and I completely support it

For that reason, the law is only worth the paper it's written on if some of the critics' fears come true. Critics worry that colleges will fill with cases in which campus boards convict young men (and, occasionally, young women) of sexual assault for genuinely ambiguous situations. Sadly, that's necessary for the law's success. It's those cases — particularly the ones that feel genuinely unclear and maybe even unfair, the ones that become lore in frats and cautionary tales that fathers e-mail to their sons — that will convince men that they better Be Pretty Damn Sure.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/13/6966847/yes-means-yes-is-a-terrible-bill-and-i-completely-support-it

8. PW2

PW2 Member

New York Magazine columnist explains that the benefits of believing Jackie, including reform at UVA, simply outweigh the one drawback of believing her if she is found to be lying - "unnecessary wariness about Phi Kappa Psi."

http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/12/doubting-uvas-gang-rape-victim-is-a-trap.html

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until the school disbands the football team [cross-thread].

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Nah, can't put Mike London out of a job.

11. PW2

PW2 Member

The narrative is true, even if it's not true here, so these nit pickers are doing a real disservice!

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120465/uva-gang-rape-story-what-make-rolling-stones-mistakes

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Big Circus: How is the local TV news covering this story (if you're still around. I'm not even sure)

Everyone else: How is the national TV news covering this?

Draft saved Draft deleted