1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

I don't really know how much more I can explain, except that the public obviously thinks the world of journalism is awfully full of itself. And this thread really underlines the point.

2. PW2

PW2 Member

I've seen a lot of people use this sleight of hand this week, and I don't like it. It's an attempt to dehumanize the accused. OK, they are "frat bros." But they are also human beings, college students.

3. PW2

PW2 Member

How so?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So if you were accused of participating in a gang rape, and you knew you were completely innocent and that that truth would ultimately win out, your response would be, "Meh ... I'll be fine"?

5. jr/shotglass

You really don't see beyond what you've been saying here, PW. And you're absolutely right about the problems with the story, and their journalistic effect. But there's so much more going on there than that. That's all I'm going to say. Story bad. Issue relevant.

6. PW2

PW2 Member

So are you taking the Sabrina Erdely point of view, then? That we need to stop getting sidetracked and talk about what the story was really ABOUT?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use "meh," but, yes. Because I was completely innocent and the truth ultimately won out. I'd be pissed as hell at a reporter who printed those accusations without getting my side, but I believe the truth would shine through, as it appears to be doing in this case.

PW2, everyone in the world is stigmatized to a certain degree. Frat bros are no exception. It comes with the territory.

8. jr/shotglass

I'm not going to go down the wormhole again. I'm just saying that you're being a little tone-deaf to the sensitivity of the issue.

9. PW2

PW2 Member

In what way?

10. jr/shotglass

No. I'm done. You could keep this going forever. But I'm not going to be led into it any further by your being obtuse.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Journalism is the very best way to get to the truth of this issue. When it's done wrong, the truth not only doesn't come out, but becomes clouded behind whatever agenda the reporter was trying to serve.

The credibility of the journalism and the credibility of the seriousness of the UVA rape issue go hand-in-hand. Rolling Stone's decision to do the story tied the two together, whether anyone likes it or not.

That makes the magazine's and reporter's apparently grossly irresponsible reporting even more galling.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, as regards the reporting, I see your point but only to a very small degree. I'm an old fart now and don't have to apply for jobs, scholarships, etc. But a young man who gets accused, even if only by a journalist who is ultimately discredited, is not going to get off scot-free. Not in this day and age. He's never going to be free of that shadow.

But I was really getting at the Duke lacrosse players scenario. I can't believe, if you got hauled into court (falsely) on about the most-heinous of charges there is, that you'd simply be pissed. I know I'd be devastated.

Draft saved Draft deleted