1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

I have a hard time getting my head around that, too.

2. PW2

PW2 Member

I wish we could hear from her without Sabrina Erdely acting as her messenger.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Think Wenner cares about the blowback or is any publicity good publicity these days?

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Could London coach and investigate rapes? Its obvious he isn't putting much into the coaching and, I don't know if you were aware of this, but he used to be a cop. Had a gun shoved in his face or some shit.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Michael Moynihan in the Daily Beast:

One cannot wade into issues like this, it seems, without standing accused of wanting to uncover a hoax in an order to deny the existence of sexual assault on campus. On the cruder end, those investigating Jackie’s claims are being denounced as “rape denialists” complicit in “rape victim smearing.”

That word “denialism” is particularly profane, with its unsubtle invocation of the Holocaust. And it doesn’t take long for subtlety to be ditched in favor of the blunt instrument of Reductio ad Hitlerum.

Feminist writer Amanda Marcotte tweeted that “it’s really time for people to understand that rape denialism is like Holocaust denialism: a broad refusal to face reality.” It’s unclear what constitutes denialism (are Hanna Rosin and Erik Wemple the Ernst Zündel and David Irving of rape culture?), and if a natural skepticism of a story that should raise eyebrows automatically casts one in the league of drooling fascists.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/04/we-must-scrutinize-the-uva-rape-victim.html

6. Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

How about this one ... Lena Dunham's accusation against "Barry."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/12/03/investigation-lena-dunhams-republican-rapist-story-falls-apart-under-scrutiny

Again, I don't think the truth "shines" through.
    It's there, but you have to look for it. And I don't know how many people take the time.

7. PW2

PW2 Member

One thing that I have learned through this story - and I knew it before, but now I truly grasp it - is that for many people, maybe most people, the cause comes first, last, and everything in between. The argument that the truth matters is of little use when engaging with them, because the cause trumps truth. Maybe more accurately, cause is truth. I understand that many of them may have internalized the mantra that alleged rape victims are always telling the truth, and I do think that they honestly believe Jackie, but sometimes their rhetoric gives them away. Statements like, "If people don't believe Jackie, then other victims will be afraid to come forward." The cause, the cause, the cause. I feel more than a little naive, because I have always thought that truth matters most, even when the search for it may be uncomfortable. But that is obviously - and this is not a put down, but an honest characterization, I think - not the way many, perhaps most, people prioritize.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bradley with another strong, logical, emotionless take.

http://www.richardbradley.net/shotsinthedark/2014/12/04/beyond-the-missing-men/

9. PW2

PW2 Member

My first impression is that I agree with him on something, for sure - people are way too hung up on her not contacting the offenders. That's the tip of the iceberg. But it's the safe play.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a very good take. Nearly quoted it, but it's all worth reading.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Got through most of it and then this blared out:

38 rapes on campus (if) is a lot of fucking rapes.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's not that, so much as "If Jackie is proven to have lied, that lends undue credence to the provably wrong claim that most accusers are lying."

Draft saved Draft deleted