1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. PW2

PW2 Member

Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

I saw a stat that for a recent year, the CDC counted 1.3 alleged rapes in the United States. That's one for every 243 people. The UVA 38 among 21,000 students is one in every 553 people. Of course, the UVA numbers don't include the elderly or children, both unlikely victims. Nor, on the flip side, teen-agers, who are probably very likely victims.

But my gut feeling is that it's not completely out of line with the norm.

2. PW2

PW2 Member

I've definitely seen it stated that way, as well.

3. Re: Rolling Stone on rape at UVA

4. PW2

PW2 Member

Still no investigation by the Charlottesville P.D. Neither Jackie nor a witness has filed a report with them:

http://time.com/3616158/fraternity-rape-uva-rolling-stone-sexual-assault/#3616158/fraternity-rape-uva-rolling-stone-sexual-assault/

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Boy, the headline really doesn't set you up for that to be the take away:

The Problem With Frats Isn’t Just Rape. It’s Power.

Too many frats breed sexism and misogyny that lasts long after college. Why we need to ban them—for good.

6. PW2

PW2 Member

Different story. The headline for the police report is among the stories on the Time rail.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

RS managing editor: “In the face of new information, there now appear to be discrepancies in Jackie’s account, and we have come to the conclusion that our trust in her was misplaced."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/u-va-fraternity-to-rebut-claims-of-gang-rape-in-rolling-stone/2014/12/05/5fa5f7d2-7c91-11e4-84d4-7c896b90abdc_story.html?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

H-bomb.

And really terrible for the entire issue of what's happening on college campuses.

Props to PW2.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Here's the direct statement.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/a-note-to-our-readers-20141205

10. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

The key with Advocacy Journalism is making sure the facts are unassailable in a manner that renders the story airtight and thus unusable as fodder for anyone who likes to poke holes into future incarnations of such stories.

[/Journalism101]

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

<i>Speaking for the first time since the details of her alleged sexual assault were published in Rolling Stone, the 20 year-old U-Va. junior told the Post that she stands by her version of the events. In lengthy in-person interviews, Jackie recounted an attack very similar to the one she presented in the magazine: She had gone on a date with a member of the house, went to a party there and ended up in a room where she was brutally attacked – seven men raping her in succession with two others watching -- leaving her bloody, permanently injured and emotionally devastated.</i>

So she's sticking by her story. She fact-checked her own story. She was introduced to the RS writer by an advocate, who claims now she didn't believe certain parts of the story but believed it enough to introduce her to the writer.

I suspect RS is going to get hit hard for this. I'm sure it will and, to some extent, it damn well should. But Jackie's not pulling back from the story. She's consistently presented it one way.

12. PW2

PW2 Member

I hope that Jackie gets the help she needs. And I'm not talking from the rape advocates, who have not helped her one whit.

Draft saved Draft deleted