1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Here is another incident at Alabama State.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/24476132/more-than-2-months-later-asu-acknowledges-rape-investigation

2. Double Down

Here are two African American men charged this year in a gang rape from a frat party at Johns Hopkins.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-charged-raping-16-year-old-girl-johns-hopkins-frat-n260811

3. Double Down

In fact, in the Hopkins case, the school didn't tell the student body what had happened. Tried to keep it quiet. Sounds like a great story.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5228116

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And this has what, exactly, to do with the UVA story?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hey, YF changed the playing field. Rabbit hole.

6. Double Down

Gang rape at Moorehouse College involving date rape drugs.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5228116

Posting this shit makes me want to vomit because it casts me as some racist right wing nut. But it's clear Erdley was looking for a certain story to tell and it wasn't one of these. I just don't buy that she just happened to stumble upon this one case in Virgina and it just happened to push a lot of buttons about wealth and privilege.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK. Good pull.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Which would never have been a problem, nor evidence of a wide-reaching liberal cabal, if she'd found something that was TRUE.

It all comes back to shitty journalism. Not some vast left-wing conspiracy.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course she picked and chose about what to write about. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with that if she had actually found a truthful story. You'd chalk it up to Rolling Stone catering to an audience of (I'd guess largely white), college-educated 25-year-olds of a certain bent.

Every magazine does that. Writers look for stories that they want to write; that will appeal to their audience. Do you think this is limited to Sarah Erdley?

What makes her bad is that she wrote a story that wasn't factual.

11. Double Down

No kidding guys. I've been beating the "bad journalism" drum as loud as anyone here. But c'mon, are we seriously going to pretend Rollimg Stone isn't ideological in its journalism? Of course it is. And while rape certainly shouldn't be an ideological issue, Erdley certainly made it one by casting this as a powerful, rich, white kids (oh by the way Eric Cantor's kid is a member) hurting and preying on women. Those issues made the story more explosive. As Erdley herself said, she wasn't interested in boring rapes. She found this story "credible" for a lot of reasons and one of those is one of the very first things Richard Bradley pointed out when he was the first person to express public skepticism: Be wary of stories that play to your assumptions.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Isn't it just that simple? I guess we could maybe parse some of her other decisions -- can you believe she used the passive voice there? -- but at the end of the day, damn: She put her name on top of that story.

Draft saved Draft deleted