1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yep, you probably did. I get that. Evolve.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You folks trying to equate an unexpected, awkward kiss with an attack and forceful rape are not helping actual rape victims.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Forced kissing is not an unexpected or awkward kiss. It's someone trying to kiss you while you are actively trying to NOT be kissed.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Can we equate the meathead in the bar grinding his crotch into a woman's ass unsolicited as sexual assault? Or is that misreading the situation, too? Or, is that just evidence of the man's hope that the alcohol gets the girl to admit her true feelings?

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Did Joe Willy sexually assault Suzy K?

6. cranberry

Probably not. He never actually kissed her but he subjected her to a hostile and uncomfortable situation. He was wrong and he admitted what he did was wrong.

7. MisterCreosote

He sexually harassed her. I don't know how you could claim otherwise.

If I did that to someone in my office, I'd be fired on the spot.

8. MisterCreosote

Or, maybe they did rape someone who now, thanks to a different environment, feels comfortable coming forward and is reasonably sure of a just outcome. That would certainly be a marked difference from the status quo.

9. cranberry

Doc, I just don't begin to see how adjudication could be "grounded in an inaccurate depiction of the rate of sexual assault" even if I agreed that the numbers were inaccurate. Do you think the liberal elite feminists are going to take over the tribunal? Do you think they get to unilaterally make up the rules? Do you think they will have undue influence over schools' codes of conduct?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

cran, all of what you're questioning has already happened.

11. cranberry

Please. There have been some unfair outcomes documented and there are plenty of flawed processes but those things have everything to do with schools grappling to get their arms around a huge, nuanced issue that has been ignored for far too long. Not because the feminists have taken over.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Look up the Swarthmore case that has now become a Title IX lawsuit on both sides.

The guy went through their kangaroo court and was found not guilty. Then a group of women sued the school. Then they brought him back before the same panel and this time found him guilty and kicked him out of school.

It was the advocates getting their way, pure and simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted