1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No. That's not what I'm saying at all.

Isn't there a part of libel law that allows for "fair and/or reasonable criticism?" That's what I'm talking about.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

LTL, Yeah, definitely a lot of people have planned to sue. ... until they actually had to make a claim that had any chance of holding up while lawyer bills start adding up.

Didn't see his link. I can imagine a bunch of idiot lawyers and judges sitting around like monkeys dribbling a football, seriously arguing about whether a fraternity with 25 kids can sue, as opposed to one with 50.

Using my sensibilities about this, I think they should be able to sue -- even if they have 150 members. It's a tight knit community, and I think any of those kids can make a claim that isn't laughable. They'd have an easy time arguing what was published was false, and the recklessness. The only question would be proving some kind of actual, tangible harm.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Someone didn't review the toppings at the fratbro ice cream social.

They accused them of a brutal, pre-meditated gang rape.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

There typically are not lawyer bills for plaintiffs.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd think in the real world, greater harm would come from getting your name associated with the case on Google by suing.

If it's to prove a point and bankrupt RS, go for it. Someone could make that case. But these guys aren't going to get any "justice" the way they seem to believe.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Dude, read the link I posted earlier.

Also, I'm betting a lawyer could probably say the frat DID have an opportunity to respond, but didn't.

Of course, they didn't because Erdely was purposely vague and evasive in her request for comment, but still...

7. The Big Ragu

So typically an attorney would take a case like this for a percentage of a settlement or judgment, if there is one?

I'd assume any potential lawyer would do the mental calculation about whether his or her work is likely to end up with a payoff, right?

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Every person who was a member of that frat that year was under a cloud of defamation.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Read back on the last couple of pages, tony. The more frat members that fit under that umbrella, the less of a case they have.

10. Dick Whitman

Right, Ragu. And that's why the cases typically die - a lawyer won't pursue it.

11. The Big Ragu

I'd imagine "a cloud of defamation" ain't getting you very far in life. But "I didn't get that job at Goldman Sachs because of that reckless magazine," might have some weight, if I had to guess. But can any of those kids make any claims like that?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A guy named X having raped someone is no reason to claim a guy named Y is a rapist.

Draft saved Draft deleted