1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Va Tech Shooter sends "images, letter" to NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Apr 18, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If NBC withheld the video, until a later date, they would have initially been slammed by the industry. But they would have engendered such exceptional good will of the public that they would be become the #1 station for news in America for years to come.

2. heyabbott

Why don't newspapers publish the salaries of its employees? America wants to know

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. You assumed that.

Lots of things have been assumed about this case from the start -- many of them wrong.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It would cost money.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Interesting question. NBC will argue some of the tape is too distrubing to show on network television.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

You don't think there are people in the public that want to see it?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Exactly. Even though I would argue that their only value is the disturbance they cause.

Thus, even if you conclude, as I do, that NBC made the correct decision, you can clearly see that they did so for the wrong reasons. Which, I think, is why so many people have a hard time calling it the right decision. They know it was an accident.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

In discussing this with a friend of mine who's not a journalist, he poses a good question: "Is the next psycho out there asking himself, 'Can I do better (than Cho) by videotaping the whole rampage?' "

Just the thought of that makes me very uncomfortable, as it should all of us.

9. JackS

JackS Member

I don't think you need to do that. At one time, people entered the journalism field with the idea of improving the greater society. Now it seems for too many it has morphed into nothing more than the nuts and bolts--making sure those 5 Ws are answered--regardless of what it does for society.

IMO, we need people who can be journalists and humans simultaneously.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

It would never make TV. Then again, Fox News is out there.

11. heyabbott

NBC just trickled out this neccessary journalistic discovery. A little on this TV show, a little on that TV show, coming up on Today, a new look a t the tape. You can see more with NBC nightly News with Brian Williams and don't forget exclusive discussion and video tape tape of the gunman's last recorded moments on MSNBC.
    Nothing But Concern.
    And remember to watch Prime Time Live with more of the guman's writings, after Deal or No Deal, 9pm, 8 pm Central.

And don't forget a very special Heroes, as a tribute to the survivors. Thats HEROES, Saturday night at 9pm, 8 Central.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Heroes is on Mondays at 9 p.m.

Draft saved Draft deleted