1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Va Tech Shooter sends "images, letter" to NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Kudos to NBC News for showing restraint, yet telling the story in full without going off the deep end with it. If anything, it shows a killer's media savvy, essentially creating a multimedia press kit to go with his actions. NBC News isn't exploiting it, but it has to report it.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So, Time was right:

[​IMG]

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Roanoke NBC affilliate had an interview with one of the wounded, who was still in the hospital. Tim Kaine went to visit, and the young man, clearly religious, talked about forgiveness. I can honestly say that he is a stronger man than I. After seeing those shots, forgiveness is far from my mind. I feel like that piece of shit is mocking all of us from hell.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I wonder if the package sent to NBC had the killer's name on the return address. And if you're the clerk who opened the package, if you didn't notice where/who it was from, would the contents have freakin' freaked you out?

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

It needs to be shown, if nothing else than to finally bring us face-to-face, painful as it might be, with the reality of mental illness. I know there's a lot of anger, a lot of "burn in hell" going on right now. This kid was sick. Sick, sick, sick.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I shudder to think of youtube in the weeks after columbine if it and ubiquitous camera phones were around. It would have been the most-captured event ever.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Howja like to be the poor postal worker slap that had to wait on this guy at 9:01 a.m. at the Blacksburg post office only to see his face splattered all over television a day later.

8. A mass murderer with his own press kit.
    What a world.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That was truly screwed and disturbing. I'd hate to see what he sent to NBC that we won;t see.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I just wonder what NBC would have done if they got the package before the killings happened.
    Would they have informed Virginia Tech or would they have claimed journalism's moral high ground and not given up a source.

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

It didn't have his name. It had A. Ismael as the sender, a phrase the Washington Post previously had reported was in red on his am according to a source. No idea what it means, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted