1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Va Tech Shooter sends "images, letter" to NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I have a problem with NBC getting credit lines on these photos.

It's blood money.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I have a problem with NBC playing those videos and showing those photos because every lunatic now has a license and a recipe for how to go out with a blaze of glory.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I can't complain about NBC showing the photos, because I'm one of those people trying to devour every bit of news on this. And they add to the image of the killer, which is important because the question of what makes someone commit a despicable act like this is one that needs an answer. If we're going to have a huge debate about what makes an incident like this happen, I think information like his manifesto and these photos are up there with the NY Times story as far as filling in the pieces of the puzzle. There is still room for honoring the victims as well.

Those photos looked like a lonely loser's attempt to be tough. Unfortunately, that loser had guns. Little fucker deserved to live and face hard jail time, with all the daily punishment that would have entailed for a slimy little psycho like him.

Gotta say, while they are damn scary within the context of what he did later (and almost sadly cheesy at times if he hadn't killed anyone, especially the one with the hammer), they still don't match the horror of the image in my mind's eye of dude bursting into classrooms and opening fire.

He looks like a wannabe street punk trying to be tough; the photos don't seem real just standing alone. But in the context of what he did . . . . . I move to the mental image of him actually committing the crime, and that is what will stay with me for a long time, the fact he succeeded in carrying out his master plan after taking those photos.

That said, of course, I'm sure I'll see a-hole's face tonight when I'm trying to sleep, just like I see The Ring girl or Exorcist chick for a few days after seeing those films . . . . . . .

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, not if you were there. 'Cause you'd stop them, come hell or high water, right?

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If you have an autograph on page three, come to the customer service desk to claim your prize

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would be more disturbed with his blueprint as to HOW to go out in a blaze of glory, doing what he did. All I know is, watching the two-minute clip on Yahoo's site pissed me off again. Like he had no other options but that.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The guy came off as a purely self-centered, deluded, arrogant dolt. I'm very confident his parents didn't raise him to be like that. But his rantings and ravings were beyond pathetic. They were feeble attempts at passing the buck. He's a creepy scumbag, but it's the fault of others. No one for a second believes that. It's so sad that he took out 32 people in his self-centered spree of selfishness. It's incomprehensible. But anyone with an ounce of common sense knows, is positively sure, that everything he said was misguided bullshit and that nothing he said had truth with it. Watching those videos and hearing his words makes anyone angry. But stepping back just a moment allows all of us to realize he's a scumbag with no concept of reality.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Funny you mention this. One of the better talk radio shows on this was Tues morning's Coast to Coast with George Noory when he had some FBI profiler on (might have been Van Zandt) and he said that most killers like this are very narsacistic and have a very distorted view of the world and just how the fuck they fit into.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Good Doctor - No I wouldn't be there to stop him. I'd be too busy holding a press conference to talk about my pain and suffering from the hurtful and mean-spirited names you called me earlier.

10. Neil Boortz would be ashamed of you, sir.

11. Dignan

Dignan Guest

What would Imus say about all this, is what I want to know.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrragaglagl cocaine rehab grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreghlrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaahhhhhh"

Draft saved Draft deleted