1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street Journal Reporter Evan Gershkovich Arrested in Russia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Mar 30, 2023.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Just another Monday in the news biz.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unlike you, I don't know exactly what happened.

But the White House briefed reporters under terms of the story being embargoed until the prisoners / hostages were in U.S. hands. My guess would be that it was the reporter who agreed to that embargo.

I don't know the structure of their newsroom, or really how breaking news works in those kinds of instances. But is it possible that her editors had no idea of the embargo terms because she didn't properly inform them, she just filed a story?

Her statement is pretty carefully worded about not doing "anything that was knowingly inconsistent with the administration's embargo." I'd like to know, then, what she "unknowingly" might have done.

Bloomberg as a news organization screwed up bigly. As for how the screw up happened, there is a there there that isn't clear.

At least they have owned the screw up completely in the aftermath, and apologized to try to save some reputational damage.without any "but" explanations. That isn't a given. How many times has the New York Times (for example) done mea culpas that tried to mitigate some screw up rather than just owning it?

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like the posting editor was unaware of the embargo.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If so, that's on the reporter for not telling her editor. And once it was posted, on Twitter, she needed to make a phone call ASAP and get it taken down because I'm sure the White House/others were on her immediately when it was published.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would say most news organizations blow off embargos by reporting "around it." Im thinking what makes this case different is because a couple of journos were involved. Which is kind of lame.
    I heard about "various prisoners being moved around Europe" the day before the news broke.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Bloomberg said "a number of" people were fired.

Why is the reporter the only name to have come out? And what of the second byline on that story, Cagan Koc?

Draft saved Draft deleted