1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street Journal Reporter Evan Gershkovich Arrested in Russia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Mar 30, 2023.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nobody thinks "Oh now Russia is going to let him go."

But it's not going to hurt. To the extent it keeps Gershkovich's name in the minds of the electorate, the better it is for him. The worst thing that can happen for him is to fade off into old news, and for the State Department to focus on other things. A united front of congress and the administration telling Russia to let him go isn't a bad thing. It makes him more of a priority.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m not mad at them doing it, just deeply pessimistic I guess.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think a big reason that Brittney Griner is home today is that she stayed in the news and remained a priority. Anything that accomplishes that and keeps politicians focused on Gershkovich is much better for him that if he starts fading into yesterday's news.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No doubt about it. Paul Whelan might as well be a footnote.

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I know the Republicans didn't control the House then, but a resolution calling for Britteny Griner's release was adopted without objection June 24, attached to some other legislation. I feel there should be no difference with this resolution.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When your resume reads "attempted larceny, three specifications of dereliction of duty, making a false official statement, wrongfully using another's social security number, and ten specifications of making and uttering checks without having sufficient funds in his account for payment," your sympathy card is running on fumes.

Tarheel316 and Liut like this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Duly noted. Knew the guy had somewhat of a murky past ... but certainly not to that extent.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Indeed. He also got a bad conduct discharge from the Marines.

9. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Whelan's entire life and bio are very interesting. It's hard to separate fact from fiction in various parts.

Although I think it's very unlikely, almost impossible, that he was a CIA agent, I do think it's very likely that he was a CIA source.

Liut likes this.
  10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

11. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Smuggling him rock hammers and posters of Anna Chapman?

Draft saved Draft deleted