1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street Journal Reporter Evan Gershkovich Arrested in Russia

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Mar 30, 2023.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any reading material, sorry. But I imagine there isn't an exact script. It is a matter of who you need, what they need from you, what kind of horse trading can get something done. And in the case of diplomacy, I suspect threats and cajoling come into play more often than not. You'd think every situation is going to be different; sometimes an appeal to friendship works, other times you need to lean on people.

From what I read (although who knows if what I read is true?), the Germans were not keen at all on letting Krasikov go for obvious reasons. He's a really bad guy and a killer for Russian Intelligence and the murder he carried out was particularly brazen. But they did get 5 German citizens back. The negotiations around that probably played a huge role, the way stories are saying. I am not saying it happened exactly this way, but I could totally see a situation where the U.S. was forced to leave Marc Fogel behind in a choice between him and the Germans that Germany got back for letting Krasikov go. That way Putin gets to keep fucking with America, America got some hostages / prisoners back, and Germany got some hostages / prisoners back for letting Krasikov go.

If I have a scenario like that all wrong, then the U.S. had some other sort of leverage that none of us are aware of, or for Scholz it served some kind of domestic political objective that he could benefit from.

gingerbread likes this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

The golden age of journalism, this is not.

gingerbread likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Guess they won’t be covering the NHL draft.

HanSenSE and Typist Clerk like this.
  5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Please share the background on that. Thanks.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From the offseason thread on Sports & News

Liut, Tighthead and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
  8. matt_garth

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Something about this seems a little off, unless the reporter went into the CMS and hit the “publish” button.

11. matt_garth

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Bloomberg threw their reporter under the bus and covered her editor's ass. Full stop.

Draft saved Draft deleted