1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 College Football Thread: Seven Years of College Station Down the Drain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2024.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

With a noon kickoff....The dome makes plenty of sense.

2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I wish they would add more to the Sunday schedule for Week 1. Slot over about half dozen games and it would be a beautiful weekend.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When I applied I believe it was something like 7,001 applications for 7,000 freshman slots.

Always felt bad for the kid who had to go to Roane State Community College instead.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I don’t bet on games, but if I had to give 50 points I’d still take the Ducks over Idaho.

Hopefully the Vandals are getting seven figures for that beat down in Eugene.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

SOB (Soft Ol’ Bitch) Dabo Swinney will no longer take calls during his weekly radio show because Tyler from Spartanburg made him sad.

maumann likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

And this during a time of overall declining applications. I will add that after Katrina, Tulane dropped its application fee and applications took off like a Cat 5 hurricane.

maumann likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My understanding is Oklahoma, Arkansas and Mississippi either waive tuition for students in bordering states or only have a small surcharge, maybe 10 percent above the in-state cost. I think Kansas may have something similar. So there are some public schools hurting somewhere, even in the higher end sportsball leagues.

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That speech will be a killer.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Aren't application numbers meaningless with the uniform application? The family doesn't have to pay $75 for every application.

part-timer and wchDr like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They don't waive tuition entirely. They just offer in-state tuition to students from neighboring states. At the University of Arkansas, that means around $8,000 per school year vs. $28,000 for out-of-state tuition.

It's part of the reason there are so many vehicles with Texas tags in Fayetteville now.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First time USC and LSU have played since ‘84, third time ever.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Sorry, mistyped. I have a friend from Memphis sending her daughter to architecture school in Fayetteville on that plan. Still closer than Rocky Top.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted