1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 2 college football thread: Everybody Do the Michigan Rag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 3, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's already looking like the SEC and Big10 will be little more than a fight for the conferences third playoff bid. Ohio State and USC look legit, same with Bama and Georgia. Still not sold on Texas.

Then throw in Utah and Miami,
    Oregon Oregon State could be interesting next week. Same with Wazzu-UDub.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2024
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

From what I understand:

Comcast has a contract with the BTN/FOX. It calls for Comcast to pay something inexpensive like 25 or 50 cents per subscriber on the West Coast, since when the contract was signed there were no West Coast Big Ten teams. The BTN was essentially filler for West Coast Comcast markets, a loss leader.

Now, the Big Ten and Fox are demanding Comcast pay $1.50 or $2 per subscriber, since there is "local" content. Comcast says no, we have a deal, we're not paying more, so they are blacking out all Big Ten games scheduled to be televised on the BTN, in every sport, played by the SoCal and PNW teams. I believe the current contract expires after this season.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2024
    Batman likes this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Texas is very, very good. And the only regular-season loss on their schedule is looking to be Georgia, and that could be interesting because its in Austin.

I think they are obviously or easily the third-best team behind Georgia and Ohio State.

Michigan was overrated as a defending champ who lost just about every offensive starter and a majority of its coaching staff (I also think Wink Martindale was a terrible DC choice) and I don't know anyone who felt Michigan could win without playing the defensive games of all defensive games because that offense wasn't going to get to 20 points.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not impressed with Michigan and there is a very "soft middle" in both the SEC and Big10 which is going to allow teams to pile up conference wins over the next month. Texas "should" finish the season with no more than one loss, but I still don't know how good they are - just two ranked teams on the sked the rest of the way? Playing an SEC schedule? How does that happen?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The SEC set the schedule up so that every existing member would play either Texas or OU this season. Now think about what SEC teams are missing from the Horns’ schedule and you start to almost feel sorry for Boomer Sooner.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Do Deion and Shadeur finish the season at Colorado?

Or does Deion resign at some point, Shadeur quits to "prepare for the draft," and beat the hell out of Boulder?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At 10:00 pm Pacific last night, there were four games on my screen. I was thinking that east coast junkies must be in heaven.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

No, we were in bed!

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Looked for Oregon. TV said it was on Peacock. Went to bed.

Chef2 likes this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I finally cashed out about 12:45 cst. Tech is so bad, it’s not even worth getting mad at. Maguire sucks. The stud qb Hammond they got, they’ll prolly redshirt him. Their ol is awful. Tim Deruyter is their DC, which is all you need to know.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Did anyone check on Romi Bean this morning?

(Sorry. Had to.)

MileHigh likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hope that bag was worth it for Dayon Hayes.

Draft saved Draft deleted