1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 3 college football thread: It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Madison World

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 9, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Games I like this week:
    • Arizona State -1.5 at Texas State (Thursday) — Arizona State had a nice run as a spunky underdog last season. I think they’re actually pretty good this year — good enough to finish with a winning record, at least, and good enough to cover a small line on the road.

• Arizona +7 at Kansas State (Friday) — Feels like a one-score game between two evenly-matched Top 25 teams, so give me the team getting the points.

• UNLV ML at Kansas (Friday) — UNLV was another spunky underdog in 2023 who actually looks good so far in 2024. Bit of a flyer here, but that’s why it’s called gambling, right?

• Texas A&M -4.5 at Florida — Oh hell yes. Until furtner notice, or until Billy Napier is fired, any time Florida is getting less than a touchdown I am on board.

• Oregon State +16 vs. Oregon — Oregon hasn’t shown anything yet to show me they deserve to be 16-point favorites. Let alone in a rivalry game, against a motivated opponent, on the road.

• Nevada +16.5 at Minnesota — Nevada has played three games decided by a total of 10 points. They’re probably overmatched here, but I’ll roll the dice and hope they keep it close.

• Memphis +6.5 at Florida State — Seriously, look at that clip I posted earlier.

• New Mexico +28.5 at Auburn — I’m getting on board with New Mexico as one of this year’s “Spunky underdogs who constantly get 20+ points for some reason.” I love those teams.

• BYU -10.5/O39.5 at Wyoming — After getting blown out by Arizona State and beaten at home by Idaho, Wyoming is officially terrible. I think BYU wins this and covers the total themselves.

• Texas -35.5 vs. UTSA — UTSA got its doors blown off by Texas State last week. What do you think regular Texas is going to do to them?

And some games I wanted to like, but can’t:
    • Louisiana Tech +22 at North Carolina State — North Carolina State is not great, but I just don’t know if Louisiana Tech has this one in them. Maybe if they were getting another touchdown.

• Arkansas -24.5 vs. UAB — This line opened at 21 and swelled to 24.5 by the time I got to it. I like Arkansas to roll, but a gut feeling is telling me to stay away at that price. There are enough good options on the board that I’ll listen to my gut.

• Kentucky +24.5 vs. Georgia — Kentucky often gives Georgia some trouble. But after they passed for 44 yards against South Carolina, how on Earth can you trust them against Georgia?

• Tennessee -49.5 vs. Kent State — Another game where I really like the favorite to win easily, but that spread is just too much to chew on. A regrettable pass.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2024
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Also weird to see WSU-UW in week 3. Or actually not seeing the Apple Cup at all, because it’s on Peacock.

Should be a good matchup, too … the Cougs have a shot at winning, and will have a boulder sized chip on their shoulders.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Is anyone else having problems getting Youtube links on this site to run? Every one I try to play errors out. Just started a few days ago.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The local yokels and fanboys out this way are saying Lanning is "saving stuff" for the Big 10 season to explain the underwhelming wins.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What in the wide wide world of sports is Arizona State doing playing at Texas State for?

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

either to give the 22 Texans on the roster a game closer to home or to help continue recruiting Texas with what they think is a gimme game?

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Backyard Brawl is Saturday, not that you'd really notice it. Much more important to promote LSU versus South Carolina and whatnot.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This could be a Southwest Airlines commercial.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Narrator: They did not, in fact, roll their asses.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If Texas State winds up being a playoff team, I demand Kathy Ireland be the guest picker on Gameday.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I had no idea Texas State was coached by Jon Rahm.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I've demanded a lot of things of Kathy Ireland. None have come to fruition.

I Should Coco, HanSenSE and Batman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted