1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What music from today will stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Feb 11, 2007.

1. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I think you can put country music is the same fix that pop and hip hop are in. I don't think a lot of people hitting the charts these day will stand the test of time. Hell, I don't think most of them will hit a third album. Someone earlier mentioned Reba as someone who will stand the test of time. Well, she falls in the same category as a Bruce or U2. She came up in the mid 80s and has already stood the test of time. Same thing for George Strait or Alan Jackson or Garth. Although I like their music, I don't see people just really reaching for that old Rascal Flatts CD in 20 years the way I reach for my George Strait's greatest hits CD. I think Carrie Underwood has some potential, but she could just as easily fall out of sight like Shania or Faith Hill -- a few big CDs, a hiatus, then nada. There's just not a lot of longevity these days. And yes, I'm addressing the Top 40 country acts. Just like pop, country has a ton of musicians who are far better who don't get the publicity and airplay.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You can't put country and hip hop in the same box.

While hip hop has fallen off since the early 1990s, contemporary country is a fucking disaster.

They've ostracized perhaps their only relevant act. Nearly all the rest is just unmitigated tripe.

I mean, after Garth Brooks retired, who have been the meaningful and/or innovative country acts?

No one springs to mind, save the Dixie Chicks. Who now have the same attitude toward Nashville the late, great Johnny Cash had...

(and someone can post the newspaper ad right... about... NOW!)

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sorry I was late, Zeke.

[​IMG]

4. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

LMAO..I LOVE that DD. Zeke, I just compared them because I think like the other genres, nothing good is coming out right now.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Country has become hair metal from the early '90s. A coupla good artists, but mostly just dreck.

I blame Bret Michaels.

6. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I was disappointed the Chicks didn't have a FUTK button anywhere!

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That would have totally made me giggle.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

At lunch today we talked about this thread topic. One of my friends, with no hesitation, said "Gnarls Barkley."
    And this friend being a white early-30s dude. It was interesting to say the least.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I was thinking about this last week...the Wall Street Journal had an article on why all these bands like the Police and the Smashing Pumpkins were getting back together. Basically, there aren't enough bands today who can play basketball arenas. How many bands who have come along in the last 10 years are big enough to play arenas every night? Coldplay, Nickelback (although they suck shit) maybe the White Stripes, maybe My Chemical Romance, maybe the Killers and maybe Gorillaz. There are a few more rap/pop/soul acts who fit that category, like Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilara, Eminiem, Outkast, Jay-Z, maybe John Legend, Beyonce, Alicia Keys.
    I dunno, it seems like the whole system for developing bands is out the window, because MTV doesn't play videos and radio stations just pound the same crap into the ground. And the other avenues like MySpace are so niche oriented.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Timbaland, Oz. Not Timberland. He's not a boot.

Yeah, shit sells. And take away "Rock Your Body" and his previous work wasn't anything great. "Cry Me a River" was only critically acclaimed because it was a giant fuck you to Britney Spears. It wasn't because it was great music. So what if it sold? High School Fucking Musical was the best-selling album of 2006. High School Musical!!

I'm not saying Timberlake doesn't have talent. I kind of like some of his stuff. But please, please, please don't anybody try to compare him to an early Michael Jackson, who was brilliant before he went stark-raving mad and started down the pedophilia road. I agree with shot on this. The guy has crossover appeal and some acting chops. That Alpha Dog movie was roundly panned aside from Timberlake's acting ability.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Of course, I never would have tagged Marky Mark for crossover appeal in 200 years, so maybe I'm as clueless on that. ;)

12. Tool is the Led Zepplin of the past 15 years.
    The Strokes, behind all the hype, are also a great, great band that could survive the test of time.

Draft saved Draft deleted