1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's for supper tonight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Not sure of where you are, but Wendy's around here has a new Monterrey Chicken Ranch Sammich. Incredibly tasty stuff.

Then again, Quiznos is always a good option.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Hmmm...Monterrey Ranch Chicken sammich, huh? Sounds pretty tasty. I had already printed out a coupon for some Colonel's Crispy Strips, but I might have to reconsider.

Thanks, Tommy.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Like I said, if Wendy's is anything like McDonalds, and does regional stuff, then you might be SOL. Bring the coupon with you either way.

Or just say screw it and stay in and order a pizza :D

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Yeah, so my neighborhood Wendy's didn't have the sammich in question, dammit. :mad:

But the Colonel's Crispy Strips were pretty tasty, and the mashed potatoes and mac and cheese were terrific, as usual.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Turkey and bacon, about twice as much as actually fits on the sub (wheat), lettuce, 'maters, provolone, mustard, mayo.

All fresh from your local, friendly Ralph's deli.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Yeah, sorry to get your hopes up man. I never realized that until I started traveling a little bit and noticed different things on the menu like say "Chicken fried steak" sammich at McDonald's in Statesboro, Ga. and not having it at one around Daytona Beach, Fla.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did this tonight. HC liked it.

Brown some sirloin pork chops (seasoned with s&P and thyme).

Remove.

Add a couple of chopped onions. Brown.

Put in about 1-2 cups apple cider in the pan. Bring to a boil. Add chops, put a lid on and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Remove chops, cover with foil, reduce cider to about 1/2 cup, add parsley and about 2 Tbs of butter.

Pour over chops.

Serve with roasted potatoes and carrots.

Salad.

Yum.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm totally making that.

Always looking for another good pork chop recipe.

Thanks, JR.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

We're having breakfast for supper tonight. Omlets, bacon and waffles.

I love breakfast for dinner.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The other thing that I do from time to time with pork chops is:

Sautee some sliced apples in lots of butter (do not use margarine or I'll kill you)

When slightly done (don't overcook), stir in some brown sugar and cinammon.

And Zeke, if you have some pork chop recipes, please share.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I do one that's remarkably similar, only with a red wine sauce and full-on carmelizing the onions.

I start the onions first in a large cast-iron skillet, then brown the chops and cover. Add into the pan some garlic (roasted if you have any around) and red wine. Deglaze and reduce by at least half. Mount it and put the chops back in for a few minutes, turning once.

Pull the chops out, top with carmelized onions and drizzle sauce over the top. Serve with anything dark green or roasted baby reds or both.

I like to use a full-bodied red like a cabernet, because I like the contrast with that and the sweetness of the onion.

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Me too sistah.

Draft saved Draft deleted