1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's for supper tonight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Oct 4, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

McDonald's double cheeseburger, fries, coke, no winner in the Monotony game

2. KG

KG Active Member

I make my dumplings very thin. All this talk of dumplings has me craving some too. I think that's what I'll make for dinner tomorrow.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Huevos rancheros. Man, they were fucking awesome.

4. Regular #8 at Jersey Mike's. Awesome.

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Two steaks on our brand, spanking, fucking new Weber grill. It's huge! Got one of dem dere charcoal chimneys (that lights with newspaper, so it's now official good for one thing besides losing money) and some "Cowboy Up" (or some shit like that) natural chunk charcoal.

Yes, the Grandpa and I will now go make hot monkey love right after I take a good dump.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Two turkey sandwiches and a Clif bar.

KG or jps or 3BF, mind posting your chicken and dumplings recipe? Never made 'em before, but they do sound good ... might have to add that to my repertoire.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Jeebus.

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

You got a grill that cooks and FUCKS? That's what I call a multitasker.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Never underestimate The Granny

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

1 Chicken, cut into pieces
    Enough water to cover

Dumplings
    2 cup flour
    1 T shortening
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    ice water

Salt the water. Boil the chicken. Remove it from the water. Let it cool and shred it. Don't include the skin. Save the broth. Add the shredded chicken back to the broth.

To make the dumplings: Mix the flour and cut in the shortening until it resembles crumbs (I use a fork). Mix in the buttermilk (or milk) until it forms a ball. Add ice water (very sparingly) and extra flour as needed so that the ball doesn't really stick to your hands.

Cut the ball in half and flatten it. Then, roll it out to about 1/8 inch. Cut into strips and then rectangles (1.5 x 3 inch-ish) and drop them, one at a time, into the broth and chicken.

Simmer for one hour. Add pepper to taste. I like lots of pepper in mine; Mrs. tbf does not.

If at 30 minutes, it doesn't start to thicken, remove a few (big) spoonfuls of broth and mix (well) with a few teaspoonfuls of flour and add it back to the pot.

Serve with cornbread.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

I'm going to have to try this. Chicken and Dumplings is my favorite. I don't think I've had homemade since my mother's passing four years ago.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would finishing be redundant then?

Draft saved Draft deleted