1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When You Don't Want to Be a Resume Reference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 31, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Jeezus, Dad, you gotta get me outta here....she's on the couch in her workout clothes half the day, posting on some website....then she tells me to shut up so she can write some stuff, and then she talks on the phone for about two hours to some guy she calls Boom, and then she made me go running with her! I never saw someone run with a Blackberry like that, she never stopped texting the whole time! And she never eats! She just talks and types! A total freak! I'm serious, Dad, maybe I could come work for you??'

Hmm. Might work.

2. JackS

JackS Member

I've had to just come out with it and tell people I won't be a reference in the past, but I don't think this is even a particularly hard case. If someone hasn't actually worked for you, you really aren't a valuable employment reference anyway. I mean, what potential employer wants to hear from a reference who hasn't employed someone, or at least taught the person? I know I have no interest in hearing from "someone who knows someone."

Just tell the father that you know from being in the biz that he should be seeking references from former employers or teachers. That's the truth, and it doesn't even hurt.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I think we should help 21, by coming up with questions for her interview with The Putz.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I knew you would know what to do.

I'm waiting for him to show up here and start a thread, 'When Some Snooty Bitch Won't Be Your Reference.'

REALLY hoping the dad doesn't read this site, here's his response to my earlier email: 'Is it that big of a deal?'

5. scribe21

scribe21 Member

Honesty best policy

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Umm....No tickee no washee

Also, I believe I hold the SJ copyright to 21, please contact my attorney for further information.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Does your attorney have an IQ of 174, by chance?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Your answer: When it comes to giving my personal reference, in the business I work in, yes it is.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Questions for the Little Douchenozzle:

1.) Do you like working nights and weekends?

2.) So, you like working nights and weekends. Have you sought professional help about your desire to avoid sex?

3.) Are you aware that your first job will be in a small town where the residents engage in sex with cattle? (Which, BTW, solves the problem of working nights and weekends.)

4.) Do you like ramen noodles?

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I think you handled it perfectly.

11. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

You call the kid. You talk to him. You give him a story of a time you slacked off and then what woke you up.

Then, you allow him to use you as a reference.

When they call you, be honest - hey, he's rough around the edges, he needs some guidance, etc but there is talent (assuming you see it).

In 2007 I'm being positive and all about helping people. College J student I don't even know just emailed me yesterday out of the blue and asked for a small interview for their j-school class. Said a mutual friend of ours said I'd be good for it. I was busy as shit yesterday ... and took about 20 minutes out of my day to whip together a few answers. (You can tell the kid is a slacker ... they like 6 hours to get this done. Either a slacker or I was the 10th option. Whatever.)

And almost like karma ... a potentially awesome freelance opportunity came my way later that day. Actually, potentially awesome is not giving it full credit ... dream opportunity is more like it. Now, it's up to me to make it happen.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

ask him when it's appropriate to go ATM.

"Uh, like, when I need money and stuff?"

Draft saved Draft deleted