1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whitlock leaves page 2 for aol sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Simmons would tell you the same thing. In fact he did in his column right after Hunter died. Go back and look it up.

And you can't fault Simmons because Whitlock enjoys reading him. A lot of us enjoy reading him, even if he did probably peak three years ago, but that doesn't make him Hemingway and he's never claimed to be.

2. XXXX

XXXX Member

both bill simmons and jason whitlock are very entertaining and thats what i base my readings on. i can't understand why you guys seem to attack simmons at every chance you get. he is extremely good at what he does. best of luck whitlock. oh by the way scoop jacksondoes suck same with lupica and his dumbass laugh.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's in large part due to to Simmons' being of the belief he should be lead columnist for the Globe.
    As long as Ryan's drawing breath, Bill's delusional.
    After we lose Ryan, Bill remains delusional.

4. Near the end there - HST's "columns" went right to the sidebar. His columns were the movie equivalent of straight to DVD. Meanwhile Simmons always has gotten the "hey a new Simmons column is up" treatment from Page 2.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That was a very good interview. Darwin's Waiting Room AOL should have a plush couch somewhere.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good luck Jason. Sounds like a good gig.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Or come across multiple times at once.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I read all of HST's early books as a kid. Then early in my sophomore year he spoke at my college. Took the stage about two hours late while demanding someone get him a turkey sandwich before he'd go on. Generally behaved like a buffoon and said nothing of substance. Refused to talk to the reporter from the school paper (not me). I didn't read him again until he started writing a column for the San Fran Examiner in the late 1980s or early 1990s, and thought he was mailing it in. I still think the Hell's Angels book was brilliant, but he devolved into a bumbling slob who lived off his reputation. Halberstam shits better than HST wrote over the past 25 years.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'm guessing the people who are falling over themselves raving over HST on Page 2 never actually read any of his ESPN work. To suggest he was mailing it in gives the effort more credit than it deserved.

And good luck at AOL, Jason.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

AOL Sports is all about style over substance. Photo galleries! Polls! Links to blogs and their radio show!

Maybe Whitlock can permeate this crappiness and send AOL into legitimacy. I, for one, am skeptical.

11. Ah, if this isn't Ask Drunk Quadruple X, Bill's audience is very unfamiliar with English.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup - enjoy making change at the 7-11 large one.

Draft saved Draft deleted