1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whitlock leaves page 2 for aol sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Learning that Luppy is a insecure busybody is nothing new to long time SportsJournalists.com followers. He even has tried to get SportsJournalists.com shut down when hs was made fun of here .

Non the less its always fun to see somone taking Luppy out. Nice work Jason>

Q: In one of your most memorable appearances on The Sports Reporters, you got into a tiff with Mike Lupica and Mitch Albom when you said sports was just ‘entertainment.’ Lupica told you to go work on ‘Entertainment Tonight.’ You haven’t appeared with either of them since. Have the three of you kissed and made up?

I don’t have a problem with Mitch Albom. Lupica is an insecure, mean-spirited busybody. He’s upset because I put a clown suit on him on that show and in a follow-up column I wrote for ESPN. His little disingenuous overreaction to an opinion I’d stated previously on the show was staged to try to put me in a bad light. I guess no one had ever informed Mike that the E in ESPN stood for Entertainment. The Little Fella probably won’t let the producer (Joe Valerio) have me back on the show again. That’s cool. They’re mostly upset that I wouldn’t participate in their Barry Bonds witch hunt and help them single Bonds out as the creator of steroids. Lupica doesn’t like to be disagreed with, and he’s spoken so abusively to that producer for years that the producer probably doesn’t realize people are allowed to disagree with Lupica. I enjoyed my time on the show. But if the price of admission is stepping to Lupica’s drum, I’m more than happy to go without.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Page 2 is a joke. Ralph was its only saving grace. If The TSL isn't going to offer JW a fulltime gig, he definitely should take Time-Warner's money and run with it. Think about it, dude ... you'd do it for the right offer. He got the right offer.

JW: Love the smackdown on Flavor Flav. The man's become simply pathetic.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Tom, my point is, they're making a lot of bigtime hires, like Yahoo, to become a player in that space, which is why it might be a fun thing to be a part of now.

nbcsports.com is doing the same. It's a good time to be in the online sports business.

4. Anytime there's a bidding war for talent in this industry these days, I say amen.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

coffee and sf - i get both your points, i really do. i simply don't think aol is the answer. being a guy who's been an aol member for nearly 10 years, i assure you i've never signed on and typed www .aol for sports news, ever.

rumor is espn is scaling back with the idiots. how can we be sure kc boy wasn't one of 'em?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Get this straight Bubs. TP doesn't hate Whitlock. Look at his previous posts. He hates everything and everyone. Whitlock just happens to be his current lightning rod.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

FU slappy ; )

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Until Scoop gets his ass handed to him with a pink slip stapled to it, ESPN will not be scaling back with the idiots. JW toots his own horn far too much for my taste, but he's not an idiot.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i respectfully disagree. the guy is a flaming fucking idiot 25 percent of the time. genius the other 75, but still a fucking idiot.

10. honest question... when do i toot my horn?

i'm very low key. i work my corners very quietly with little fanfare. you would think i carry myself like terrell owens. in terms of performance, style, looks and class, i'd say i have much more in common with michael jordan than t.o.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Plus, I give J-dub his credit for being one of the few amongst us who actually posts on here with his real name. Oh, and I'm not J-dub's alias. Or am I?

12. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Completely valid question. Normally, we let the expletives fly ... but we wanted to keep Whitlock's responses obscenity-free.

Draft saved Draft deleted