1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whitlock out at Fox Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Regan MacNeil, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I love being black, especially here in America. I love our narrative and journey and what it says about the strength of our descendants and the redemptive power of a constitution that guarantees freedom. Being successful and black gives me enormous confidence and contributes to my faith. I’m not bothered by the pride of white men because I relate to that feeling. I have the same pride in being a black man.

Right there is Jason Whitlock in a nutshell.

The rest is just him playing with words for a living and getting paid to do so. Don't like it? Go fuck yourself. lol

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"I made a conscious decision years ago to avoid politics and shun any political identity. I’ve never voted. "

Then your political opinion doesn't matter IMHO.

"Politics just isn’t important to me."

Then don't write about it.

SFIND likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

True as that is, even taking into account his new audience, he should probably still give sufficient fucks about his own writing not to reheat leftovers like this.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I clicked on the link and read it obviously.

Get to the section about Uber.

Within seconds my Uber app sends over an offer. That was a bit strange. I get Uber notifications rarely.

Is this how Big Online Advertising works in 2020 with strategic product placement in the story narrative?

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This is on the site owned by Clay Trumpist, whose go-to phrase is Stick to Sports. Aside from a couple of references to LeBron and others, this hardly meets that obligation.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not over his head if someone new is willing to keep paying him every 2 years.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm thinking an epidemic of extrajudicial police killings are more destructive.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Without any actual knowledge of the arrangement between Travis and Whitlock, I would guess that a portion, and possibly the largest portion, of Whitlock's compensation is in equity in the site -- which may or may not have much value.

Travis hired a few people in April after a sleepy few years with that site, and the impetus may have been him seeing Dave Portnoy selling part of Barstool Sports for silly money and the Ringer selling itself to Spotify for $200 million.

I am betting that 1) Travis decided to ramp up and try to grow the site, thinking he can cash in in the same way, and 2) He sold Whitlock on that vision and gave him equity in the site, in lieu of anything close to what Whitlock had been earning.

If that is the case -- and again, I am speculating and don't know their arrangement, so maybe I am wrong -- this time you need to put some heavy caveats on that "someone new willing to keep paying him every 2 years" model.

TigerVols and FileNotFound like this.
  9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A garbage piece.

I would like to see the analytics rather than anything Whitlock has to say at this point.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think we can assume this to be pretty/mostly true.

In straitened times, almost no one is going to pay him to write the same column again and again and again, so he needs equity in the one place that might: The Clay Travis Head Lice and C19 Traveling Medicine Show. This opening column was a greatest hits medley: Dolezal / Shaun King / black-on-black violence / he was no angel / I'm not a conservative I'm just a libertarian asking questions.

He's not a TV star solo act. He's a foil. So maybe he and Travis wind up with some sort of on-camera thingamabob or podcast. But we can count on one or two of these rehashed blog posts a week in the meantime.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That’s immediately what I thought of.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's an odd pairing given their track record - I'd think Whitlock is little more than the "Charles" (Imus reference) who nods along during Travis' pontifi-bating about race. See also the producers/girl sidekicks on Colin Cowherd's show.

Draft saved Draft deleted