1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who you have been wrong about?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

But did you buy a jersey, X? I've still got my Robinson Bucks jersey, circa 1995, up in the attic somewhere.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of Todd Van Poppel rookie cards.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I thought Michael Bennett would be an all-pro running back with the Vikings when he got drafted ... with his speed on that turf.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I just figured there was no way in the world he deserved all that hype.

I was wrong. Big time wrong.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll join in on Ryan Leaf. Thought he'd be better than Manning. So far, I'd say Manning has probably had the better career...

Another for the hockey fans -- I watched Pat Falloon play a few times when he was in Spokane in the Western Hockey League, and thought he would be an absolute star in the NHL. Wrong - though his nickname, Fat Balloon, may be some indication of the problem.

Loren Woods has been in the NBA for 5 years now, which is 5 more years than I ever expected. Thought he was a joke in college.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

They're still tied in Super Bowl wins. ;D

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, I'm tied with them, too.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I thought Middle Tennessee (my alma mater) was making a terrible mistake going to D-I football.

They won eight games in 2001 and they're going bowling this year. So I missed on that one, mostly.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I would've fallen into the same trap if I hadn't seen an earlier version of him named Jeff Cook.

Same down-slapping style, same big speed. If you watched him at a level where he made consistent contact, you'd swear he could get 130 infield hits in a season. But when he got to AAA, he couldn't direct those Baltimore chops like he could before. And he had no backup plan.

Cook never got an AB in the majors, which still surprises me a bit. The Pirates were ga-ga over him at the mid-levels.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a really good thread.

I thought Horace Copeland was going to be the man. He was faster and more polished than Irvin in college. Another guy from that Miami team, Mark Caesar, was in the early Jerome Brown mold.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I thought Glenn Robinson would be a beast in the NBA.

I thought LeShon Johnson would become a good NFL back.

I thought the Colts looked foolish for passing on Ryan Leaf for Peyton Manning.

Oh, and I thought Roy Williams would never leave KU after he said the only way he would leave town was if he died or was fired. Oops.

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I really, really, really hope I'm wrong, but I don't foresee a top-20 all-time center career from Greg Oden in the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted