1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why So Bitter, Herb? 2014 Edition (page 14)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Apr 3, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Re: Why So Bitter, Herb? 2009 Edition (page 8)

Seder 1 was at a female rabbi's house (who is a vegetarian) who my wife has been friends with since high school. Vegetarians substitute an orange for the shank bone on the seder plate. There were readings from multiple hagaddahs (the one base one we used plus about half a dozen other ones spread about the table). Skipped the answering of the four questions and the readings about the four sons in favor of a discussion about why the story of Passover is not told in the haggadah - elements of it are there, but the story itself is not retold. At one point, in the pre-meal seder the mini tambourines and marraccas were brought so we could sing Debbie Friedman's "Miriam's Song". Dinner was the egg in salt water, red pepper soup (that had too much pepper, it made horseradish seem mild), and then chillean sea bass, mashed potatoes, and ratatouille. A chocolate lava cake, strawberries and some other kind of fruit/cake mix was the desert. Because of the discussions and singing and dinner conversation the seder lasted close to 4 hours.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mah nishtanah halyla hazeh mikol halaylot

Happy Passover.

This Passover was unique in our family. My normally observant father, 80 years young, was highly indulgent. We had the Sedar at his Country Club, s mall gathering of 8, inlcuding an 11 year old and a 5 year old.
    We did a speed service of 18 (Chai) minutes and ordered off the club's menu. NY Strip steak on Passover was great. My 11 year old niece had a crab cake and my father didn't bat an eye lash. Slivovitz

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed at that.

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My family's first seder was remarkably calm. In lieu of good stories, I offer the Facebook Hagaddah.

By the way, it is indeed possible for Passover products to spoil. Dang leftover Tam Tams are rancid, and the macaroons are on beyond stale.

Anybody remember where I put my real sandwich? :-\

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting that Hagaddah - it was a riot.

6. lono

lono Active Member

We had the rabbi over.

When I had to leave to go to work, she looked at me and said, "Thanks for coming by."

I said, "It's OK. I live here."

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sadly (for me, and probably a relief for you), I have nothing to contribute. For the first time in many years, decided to risk the wrath of God and my mother, and skipped the family Passover adventure.

I have no doubt my absence has given new meaning to the slaying of the first born.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hang in there (and be sure to share if you get in trouble...)

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm in trouble.

The strange thing is, I really didn't think I'd care, on account of being an ADULT OVER 40 who should be entirely capable of making decisions REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE REST OF THE FAMILY THINKS, regardless of the fact that Lou now sees deer wandering around the house....but I do feel a little guilty.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm sure that will make your mother happy just by itself.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

sounds to me that you needed a well-deserved break from family drama, 21. glad you had the strength to do what was best for you, as hard as it must have been.

next year, i'd be honored to have mrs. shockey set two more places for 21 and boom, if you find yourself missing the bitter herb experience too much.

our night 2 seder went quite smoothly, save for my bro-in-law apparently insulting my friend mr. cohen the headhunter when i wasn't listening. he later also derided mr. cohen's amazing daughter by telling her he should drop her plans to get into communications. this morning the delaware sophomore landed a pretty sweet summer p.r. internship at "the fuse" cable network, going with her dad's guidance and her own heart instead of the advice of my other-worldly bro-in-law. ;) ;) ;)

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Thank you, shockey my friend. May these eight days of matza pass easily, if such a thing is gastroenterologically possible.

I will transcribe the message my mother left me today, when I have an hour and a drink, not in that order.

Draft saved Draft deleted