1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why So Bitter, Herb? 2014 Edition (page 14)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Apr 3, 2007.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Re: Why So Bitter, Herb? 2010 Edition (page 10)

My grandmother was on the phone for the second seder, because she didn't want to leave home during the rainstorm last night. My mom had already brought her leftovers from the first seder, which she attended in person, so she had the same meal we did. If we'd planned it a little better, she could even have followed along in our old-school Maxwell House haggadahs.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

We have those haggadahs, too! I swore we were the last people still using them.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Isn't the social aspect of the seder part of the point?

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Part of it. My wife said it as a joke as rain and traffic turned the usual hour and a half trip for the first seder into 3 hours.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

HAHAHA! I can't believe you all know the Maxwell House hagaddahs!!

Had a big debate over them last night....we used them forever, until one year (a dozen years ago) I went to my niece's preschool seder and realized it was the first time I ever had a clue what was going on. I swiped a copy of the program, took it home, and crafted our own seder, a 15 minute version with cute graphics, which now famously appeals to not only preschoolers but also Catholics, teenagers with ipods, and grandparents with and without dementia.

So last night someone asked what we used before, and we all started bashing the Maxwell House version...endless pages of babble that mean nothing to anyone. My mother insisted that Maxwell House was the definitive haggadah source. Why? Because it was free! I mean, Maxwell House makes coffee, not even pareve coffee....what could they possibly know about haggadahs??

Anyway, my one great regret is that I saved my uncopyrighted hagaddah on an old computer, which has since vanquished. So we just have these same 20 copies, on purple paper, bound in green folders, splattered with 12 years of charoses and horseradish. I guess i could photocopy more, but wouldn't be the same.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Re: Why So Bitter, Herb? 2011 Edition (page 11)

Dear Tribe:

I know it's a few days away, but really, it's never too early for some good plague humor.

If Moses had a Facebook:

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i cancelled our annual seder night hosting my family 'cause things have been impossibly stressful 'round here of late, primarily related to middle-son shockey's pending college choice. we can't make the final decision until all the schools have given us their financial aid-package, believe it or not. and he's becoming more and more frustrated, feeling like he's the only kid who has yet to decide where he's going...

can't wait until we're looking back on this and chortling, but right now it feels like the future of the world hinges on this. remember? you feel like your no. 1 choice is the ONLY college out there and if you don't get in or can't afford it you feel like the world's biggest loser. of course, all of his 'finalists' are terrific; he'll have a great time and great education at any of 'em. but we need this processhe need to end already...

and don't want to be around family until it's OVER. so i'll just be an avid reader of one of my favorite threads... carry on, 21. nobody does it better!!

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

our first night -- me, Mrs. W, a friend whose husband is going to be out of town and five kids aged 2-5. The fifth question -- where is more wine?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe time to switch to Lono's 4 cups of vodka.

Did no one watch the Moses video and think it was hysterical? Moses and Pharoah IMing, still laughing.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

you are my hero

11. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Hilarious 21. Had to watch it several times to catch everything.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Love it! "People who bought locusts also bought lice". That made me snort.

Draft saved Draft deleted