1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh wait, CNN has a guest contributor, former NBA player write a column about "bully coaches" who is it -- Magic? No, Michael? No. Kareem? No --- it is John Amechi --- hmmmm, what is significant about him, other than, well he was at best a journeyman and why would they pick him on this particular issue with this particular coach?

Three guesses?

I know, I know - I'm making things up because I want people in the world to be able to say "faggot"......

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What if he'd said "nigger"?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Again. Context, genius. The coach was fired because he abused players, both physically and verbally. Had he not been throwing basketballs and physically assaulting them, my guess is he'd still have a job. But then again, having video beamed all over the world of a coach calling players faggot and c--t could be considered a fireable offense. Like it or not. He is representing the university, after all. But it seems about the only person caught up on the slurs is you. It certainly is interesting that Amechi was asked to write a guest column, but the slur is a part of the story. A small part, as I see it. But it is a part.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Somebody please convince me that Rice would be fired if his three-season record was, say, 70-25 and Rutgers was playing in the Final Four this week, all other circumstances being the same.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Please, won't someone give the green guy the fiat to say "faggot" to his heart's content.

Anyhoo, zag is saying that we (including Rutgers) are highlighting the slurs and not saying much of anything about the physical stuff. A provably wrong straw man, probably, but let's say it's accurate. Can words alone ever be a firing offense, zag?

And FileNotFound, if the tape came to light, a 70-25 Rice would still be canned. But with a 70-25 Rice, there might be incentive for the tape to be made to disappear before it saw the light of day.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pernetti is a fucking idiot for many reasons, but primary is his downplaying of Rice drilling basketballs into people's heads.

Basketballs are not fucking Nerf balls. I have gotten bloody noses from basketballs. I have seen people get teeth knocked out and BEING knocked out -- out cold -- by basketballs.

A reasonably-athletic grown man firing basketballs at the heads of relatively unprepared players from 10 feet or less away constitutes fucking aggravated assault in any court in the country.

If I had been the AD I wouldn't have had to see or hear even one more second of tape -- that's a bang-bang firing offense right there.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Definitely. This wasn't an isolated incident, so he would be gone no matter what. But if he was a well-known coach, the tape might not have been turned in.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine the Final Four press conferences will be interesting.
    "Coach - you ever treat a player that way in a practice?"
    "I'm not under oath here, right?"

9. zagoshe

It wouldn't change a thing if he said Kyke, Dyke, Nigger, Spick, Wop Dago, Chink, dothead, Jap, Nip and whatever other fucking mean word for someoine's race or creed you can come up with, not a fucking thing.

I know you are trying so hard to make this a homophobic issue but it is not.

I'll say it again -- words, no matter how mean, are not close to being the worst offense this guy committed but some people are trying to make it so.

10. zagoshe

No, genius, the coach was suspended and fined for abusing players.

He was fired because the pressure from gay groups and other politically correct whiners among us after the video got out and he was seen using the word "faggot" and "fairy"

That's the world we live in.

If he hadn't dropped those words, Pernetti would be talking today about how Rice was disciplined in December and has been on an anger management plan, has followed the rules and knows he is on a short leash and we would never hear of this again.

It is why it took Bobby Knight 20 years to be fired - because he won and because he didn't use racial slurs or words like "faggot"

11. zagoshe

I would say this --- with this, the Sandusky shit, other nonsense --- the NCAA could solve some of this by forcing teams to have practices that are open to the media.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

This video was from when?

Why would they hold on to it until this week — just to bring all the various issues to a "Final Four" forefront?

Wrongs are wrongs. The tape should have been sent to ESPN, or the local paper and TV station the instant they were produced.

Draft saved Draft deleted