1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People trying to use Rice to discredit political correctness are like people who use confessed and convicted serial killers in hopes of overturning capital punishment. You may have a valid argument, but you won't win with a poster boy like that.
    I guess when watching the video, some people identify with the guy throwing the ball, others the person getting the ball thrown at them.

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 3m

RT @GreggDoyelCBS: Got a text from ex-Indiana manager under Knight: "That same Rutgers video played out, over & over, at Assembly Hall"

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Chipper's father was a high school coach. I would ask Chipper if he would want his father acting like that.

I don't think being able to take that kind of treatment means that it's OK.

But it's really, really common.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A basketball is not a fucking soft-rubber playground ball.

NCAA D-1 teams keep their basketballs inflated to full regulation pressure for practices.

A fully-inflated regulation basketball, fired full power at the head by an adult from less than 15 feet away at an unprepared target, can certainly inflict significant injury (broken noses, knocked-out teeth, facial fractures, concussions, even theoretically death).

END OF
    MOTHER FUCKING
    STORY

Rice needed to be fired the milli-instant Pernetti saw the tape.

And Pernetti needed to be fired the instant he didn't do that.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I was a college athlete, not basketball (wrestling) and not Division 1 (2), but I just couldn't ever have competed for a coach like that. I don't even know how they get recruits that way. I mean I do, but I'd think there are enough good coaches out there that some of them have to be decent guys. I'd go find one of those.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Those antics by Rice? Simply compensating because he was a lousy coach otherwise.

Look, Wooden did not need to do that, neither did Lombardi or LaRussa. Abusing kids in the name of teaching is not what we need to aspire for in our society.

If there's one thing I've learned in parenting/coaching kids, just because I made it through something doesn't make it right.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Let what go, exactly?

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The condemnation for an obvious moron.
    It's college sports - an enterprise bursting at the seams with assholes.
    This single one is not worth the fuss.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And Chipper Jones has credibility because...

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agreed that there are many out there like him. But there aren't many who are on video on national TV hurling basketballs at players' heads and throwing them around like rag dolls. Shall we not discuss his firing? Lock this sumbitch up then, mods.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is the classic case of "well he's not the only one." Well, if there are more out there, that's still unacceptable.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I wholeheartedly agree.

I told someone today we need to wind down the sports obsession, that's what's fueling this, and she looked at me like I was from Mars; thankfully she then understood.

Draft saved Draft deleted