1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking about that. When I was that age (I played basketball in high school, not college), I don't think I would have done jack shit about an abusive coach (and I dealt with one, actually), except take it (and call him a dick to anyone who would listen when we were off the court).

At this age -- 44? I can't think of a thing I need enough in my life where I would put up with anyone treating me that way.

I think yesterday, DanOregon wrote that half the people who saw the video could relate to the guy throwing the ball at someone's head, and the other half could relate to the kid having a ball thrown at his head.

I don't relate to either. I would never treat anyone that way. And at this point in my life, I wouldn't put up with anyone else treating me that way.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, but as you said, you did put up with it when you were younger. That's what DO's pointing out.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Has the president been canned too? Saw speculation he might lose his job as well.

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I'm thinking that firing Pernetti is the late-inning, Jeter-esq effort by the president to try and save his job.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Disagree. Zag is right. These assholes are infested in just about every youth sport. I once spent a bachelor party weekend with some asshole who told complete strangers (me) about his batting lineup changes for his U12 girls softball game. He left the bachelor party weekend half-thru... he didn't want to miss practice.

20-20 has done pieces on little league baseball coaches. Such assholery you couldn't imagine. And what I've seen from youth soccer coaches would turn any stomach.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'm just glad someone finally explained to a board of sports journalists who the hell Chipper Jones is. Thanks, new guy. :)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So who will have a job first, Mike Rice or Eric Murdock?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It probably does happen once in a while: Player snaps, says, "I ain't taking any more of your shit, motherfucker," bolts toward the coach, he's pulled off by assistant coaches and other players hoping to keep their scholarships (even if most of them agree the coach is a fuckin' dick).

Next morning it's announced the player "has decided to leave the team to concentrate on his studies," and 99.987% of the time we never hear about it again.

Unless the kid is a superstar, why would we?

And I would bet a pretty high percentage of the players coaches like this fire basketballs at are average or below-average players. (I'd also venture to guess, the less physically-imposing players as well.)

Guys like that drop off teams all the time and rarely does anybody give it a second thought.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Think about what we know:

Coaches/Admin:

1. Throw balls and call players derogatory names;
    2. Get paid huge $$;
    3. Have power to block transfers for a full year, even with unreasonable ridiculous reasons; and
    3. Get caught breaking rules, then get new job without restrictions.

Players:

1. Make 4 year commitment and get only a year by year renewable commitment in return;
    2. Get a scholarship, but oh by the way, you still have to devote 40+ hrs/wk that the other students don't have to do yet finish in 4 years ; and
    3. Cannot transfer without consent.

Easy choice.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

6 '11 Marty Conlon quite the team at Providence because he did not like the way Gordie Chiesa was treating him.
    Eric Murdock was a freshman on that team.
    Conlon came back after Chiesa was fired and went onto to NBA journeymen career.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This press conference is awful.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this incident sparks the beginning of the end of mega maniac basketball coaches that have been made into kings
    by colleges looking for the gold of March Madness.

Draft saved Draft deleted