1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Yes, but then this happened and parents didn't pull their kids off the team.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Which means either,

a) they're idiots, or

b) One or more of them is just waiting for the right moment to sue.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Affluent NJ parents who can afford AAU for their 12-year-old girls?

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So if Mike Rice has treated this group of girls and parents the right way, and he has helped their daughters become better players and he has coached them up - the parents are nuts for allowing him to remain as coach?

Really?

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

From what I can tell there is no evidence that he is calling them vulgar names or hitting them so why would parents object - oh I forgot, this is the wussified America where accountability and competitiveness are evil and every one gets a trophy and needs to be reassured that they are special.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What did you say to my daughter?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, what Zag is saying is that coaches who don't throw basketballs at the heads of their players just aren't doing enough to hold them accountable or trying hard enough to win. Funny, but I think that's going to come as a bit of a surprise to some damn good coaches.

7. Starman

1) What evidence is there that he is 'coaching them up'? Certainly his performance as RU head coach does not indicate any brilliant coaching talent on his part.

2) It can certainly be strongly inferred from the Rutgers video and the Deadspin tweet he is continuing to act like a banshee on the sidelines. It is reasonable to assume his practice conduct is similar (in fact it is ridiculous to believe otherwise).

3) The main message this particular style of coaching delivers to players is that is is an advisable thing to piss your pants, howl like a baboon, rip the crap out of officials from the beginning to the end of every game, and somehow expect this behavior is somehow going to inspire the refs to suddenly start making calls favorable to you.

In the real world of course behavior like this in the face of authority usually results in a much strengthened determination on their part to fuck you over worse than ever.

The sooner the little darlings realize this the smoother their passage in life is likely to be.

8. zagoshe

Further there is some real ignorance being thrown around here being thrown around about "Division I coaches shouldn't have free time....." -- I hate to tell you but this - a Division I coach coaching a group of young kids on the side -- is not nearly as uncommon as you think and in fact it is far more common than you think.

It happens all the time.

But I know, I know, Mike Rice used the word faggot so we need to pile on and bury him and make him out to be the worst human and worst coach ever.....

9. zagoshe

Yeah, that is what I said dumb ass. Go back to jacking off to your Troy poster and leave the rest of us alone.

I think I made it clear that I don't condone what Rice did or his methods.

But we do have a bunch of wussies like you in this country now who think that any coach or teacher who raises his or her voice is being a meanie and everyone is trying their best....

10. Starman

If I were Rutgers' AD and Rice was turning in the piss-ass mediocre records he was, I would make goddamn sure he DIDN'T have any "free time."

Of course, now, both of them have all the free time they want. :D :D :D

11. zagoshe

1. I don't think there is any question he is good coach, except among people who are offended because HE USED GAY SLUR. The guy took Robert Morris to back to back NEC titles and I am quite certain that this AAU team is coached 100 times better than just about every team they play. And if you don't understand this, you obviously haven't been to youth basketball games recently as there are a whole lot of awful, clueless coaches out there doing there John Wooden impression. I guarantee these girls are receiving excellent coaching for a 12-year old team.

2. If these parents are anything like the helicopter/hover parents that we have in this country, I would be willing to bet a ton of money that if there are ten kids on this team, nine of their parents stay and watch every minute of every practice because that's how we do things in this country. So I would assume that if he was hitting kids or throwing basketballs at them, one of the parents would have seen this and either beat his ass or reported him.

3. I agree, screaming and yelling at refs is idiotic and sets a bad example. But t'd be willing to bet he is nowhere close to the worst offender in this area and if you think I am wrong, go to your local AAU tournament this weekend and watch for a few hours and you will see what I mean. Doesn't make it right, but it isn't like he is the only guy who screams at refs.

12. Starman

Of course he's not.

That's one of the biggest problems with AAU hoops (well not really one of the biggest but certainly significant), that the refs are usually hired and paid by the home team so essentially the coaches can go absolute ape crazy nonstop.

Draft saved Draft deleted