1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

What makes him a great coach? The string of Final Fours he took Rutgers to?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Zag, if you this isn't suggesting that Rice's behavior is acceptable, then it makes no sense. Then again, it's you, so why should we expect it to make sense.

You whine about "wussified America" opposing accountability, then you whine even more when people want to hold Rice accountable for his behavior. Maybe you just like to whine.

Where did I ever say a coach or teacher shouldn't raise his or her voice? Nowhere. Ever. You made that up, as you always make things up.

Where did I ever claim that everybody is trying their best? Nowhere. You made that up, too.

But yeah, I do think throwing basketballs at the players heads is just a bit over the top. Pardon me, tough guy, for not believing you when you claim that you don't condone Rice's actions. Your willingness to make constantly make things up has destroyed any credibility you might have had and you keep posting things that suggest otherwise.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No dumbass - if you would read back in the thread you would see I said very clearly dude needed to be fired.

But you, being the dumbass you are and the jerk who just wants to start pissing matches, would rather try to make a stupid point - the only kind you make - then actually move the discussion forward.

So shut up.

Thank you.

4. zagoshe

I didn't say he was a great coach. I said he is a good coach.

He is a guy who took Robert Morris to back to back NEC championships and had it not been a little "big school homer job" by the refs, would have knocked off Villanova, who was a No. 2 seed, as a No. 15 seed.

He is a coach that pretty much every player I have seen quoted outside of the Euorwuss who transferred, likes and plays hard for.

I'm not saying he is John Wooden, I'm saying he is a good coach, which he is.

Is a whack job? Yes.
    Should he have been fired? Yes.

But if he didn't hit kids on his AAU team and call them slurs -- which, there is no evidence that he did - and if the parents are OK with him coaching their kids, I'm not sure why this is an issue.

Like any AAU team, the bosses are the parents, the ones who pay the bill.

5. outofplace

You say he should be fired, yet you are defending him all over the thread. You are a liar and a hypocrite who trolled thread about the explosions at the Boston Marathon until you got that locked, too. Nobody goes out of their way more to start pissing matches here than you do. Nobody.

And I think I'll go right on pointing out the ridiculous hypocrisy in your posts, thank you very much.

6. zagoshe

Really I am defending him?

Or am I saying the "outrage" that he is coaching an AAU team is stupid?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

7. outofplace

Saying that the reaction to him is overblown is defending him. Whining about his critics is defending him. I know you don't like admitting it, but it is.

The only person here who should be embarrassed is you.

8. zagoshe

Fixed

9. zagoshe

I was actually participating in the discussion about Mike Rice and his AAU team and this born loser comes in and starts trying to stir up shit. Luckily he is easy to smack around and make fun of but unfortunately he is such an insecure little child that he always has to get the last word in so I'm sure he will continue with his failure rather than walk away while he is still way behind.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How many people can you fit in a douchecanoe?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

*Inhale*

I agree with zagoshe. Mike Rice clearly has greater basketball acumen than the typical AAU coach. He also hopefully is not getting wound up about coaching preteen girls. It could be a good learning experience on the court for the girls, and it is up to the parents, not outside gawkers, to determine whether they want his influence near their children.

He was caught on video doing something many coaches get away with. He overstepped in numerous other instances. He is an asshole. Rutgers had to fire him. That does not mean his life should be over or that he should not be allowed to practice his craft.

I would not want my daughter on his team. I also don't have a daughter, and if I did have a daughter, she probably would not be good enough at basketball to need the higher-tier coaching.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Natives who built the first of these -- the Diouxche Nation -- designed them for four.

Draft saved Draft deleted