1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild night for Alabama preps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2023.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or wide receivers?

maumann likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So for once it was the moms costing their kids a scholarship.

maumann, BartonK and HanSenSE like this.
  3. dixiehack

Oh noooooo…

chevron-right

4. dixiehack

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A district out here is having this issue. Game had to be stopped last Friday because of an incident in the stands. This week? Game moved to 4 p.m. with no students allowed.

6. dixiehack

If we are having an extracurricular activity that no other students are allowed to observe, at that point I am very open to suggestions that we shitcan the whole thing.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I wish I could say it was better in the old days, and perhaps it was in some places, but my father recently said the reason why Detroit Public School League football games in the early 1950s were always played on Friday afternoons had nothing to do with lights or tradition. It cut down on police calls for the gang fights underneath the grandstands.

And at least one school in our league in the Bay Area was banned from playing night games at home throughout the 1970s because their fans/students/parolees had an annoying habit of breaking the windows of the opposing school's buses while the game was under way.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Mater Dei beats Bishop Gorman 31-15 in a 1 vs. 2 matchup in Orange County.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

For the first time in 25 years, I got wiped out on the sideline tonight.
    Team ran a wide receiver screen to my side. I shot two frames before realizing he was headed my way. I normally would have run clear, but it was a tight sideline and it was muddy so if I tried to run I probably would have slipped and fell anyway -- and the players would still be coming toward me, so it would have been worse.
    I almost escaped it, and then got clipped by the last bit of momentum from a rolling player. Plopped down ass first in the mud.

Thankfully, I wasn't hurt. Even saved the camera and notebook without too much dirt on them. About five cheerleaders had to pull me up because I had no leverage with my hands full and the mud under my feet. I felt like a fat turtle.
    Also, one of my wife's best friends happened to be at the game. When I checked my phone at halftime there was a text from my wife saying she already knew about me falling ass over teakettle into the mud.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I have no proof, but I’ve heard the same reasoning why Hartford schools played their games on Saturdays. We had a 10:00 start, get to the field at 9:00 wake up too damn early for high school. They needed to fit three games in.

Of course now, that filed has been renovated, and is home to a minor league soccer team and the schools all have their own renovated fields.

11. dixiehack

Way back when there was a Friday where I got hit on the sideline but was OK. Seven days later I got hit again and was pretty far from OK. Not trying to scare you, but this might be a good sign to evaluate your operation down there, tighten up escape plans and evaluate risk-reward ratios. Because 4-5 months living in a passive movement machine is a nightmare way to roll into a new year.

I Should Coco, Batman and maumann like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Trust me, I'm no hero. I have no pride or shame when it comes to bailing out the second I see the train coming down the tracks. A couple plays later, in fact, they ran that same play further down the sideline where it was drier and I had more room to maneuver and I high-tailed it out of there.
    This was just a bad combination of factors that left me with nowhere to go.

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted