1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild night for Alabama preps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2023.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Somebody tattled on them. They don't issue 1098's to high schoolers for gift cards.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tattled? County High put it on social media!

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Which of us who hasn't worked for the Podunk Fishwrap hasn't had a sponsorship on the Athlete of the Week? But more importantly, did it cost them a scholarship?

5. dixiehack

Damn y’all, I don’t even know anymore.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/09/min...gham-police-order-him-to-end-performance.html

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yikes. Is it really necessary to tase the band director — or even arrest him at all?

I wonder if his race has anything to do with it … a rhetorical question in 2023 America, unfortunately.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Both bands kept playing and people stayed when they were trying to empty the stadium. The home director shut it down when police asked him to. The visiting director kept going. He is black, both directors are. I would caution you about assuming racism unless something comes out indicating it. Many to most Birmingham PD officers are black. I would bet a majority of the crowd and people working security were as well.

8. dixiehack

I don’t know what race he is, but at Minor there is a decent chance he’s black. But he was the visiting director at an all-black school in a city that is three-quarters black and the odds are very good the cops were black too. So I don’t think it is that cut and dry.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, and I’m not saying this wouldn’t happen elsewhere. Without snark I say that a black football team, band or even tourists would receive this treatment tonight if they traveled to North Idaho.

Still seems weird that police of any race would have to tase a band director of any race. Let the school administrators discipline him/suspend him later?

10. Neutral Corner

Both band directors are black.

11. dixiehack

Usually the cops want the inner cities stadiums cleared PDQ before anything has a chance to boil over. I’m not saying that it should lead to tazing, but I could get why an officer wouldn’t be in the mood to be ignored if a full postgame performance wasn’t already planned out.

12. Neutral Corner

Our point is that it is likely that 70-80% of the people there were black. This *isn't* Idaho, and it wasn't in a white suburb. If racism had been involved overtly it would already be the bigger story here. Sure, using a taser seems excessive - but he refused commands, resisted being cuffed, and struggled with the officers. That puts you at risk of a nightstick or taser if you draw the wrong cop, whether you're a band director or a corner boy.

Draft saved Draft deleted