1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Mar 6, 2022.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The Kareem mellowing was a little too quick and manufactured. According to Kareem's book "Giant Steps," Cheryl Pistono had a lot to do with it, and while she's present throughout the series, her affect on his transformation is largely ignored.

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Was wondering if they would do anything with Westhead and his failed year with the Bulls, like they did with McKinney and the Pacers, but they breezed past that. Wonder if they might come back at the end (if the series makes it that far) when Westhead takes over the Nuggets.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to watch the latest episode. IDK why, but on my phone for some reason I only get audio with no video on the Max app unless I download it and watch it that way. When I went to watch episode 6, all of a sudden it didn't give me the option to download anymore. I went to a different show (succession) and was able to download. Any theories?

4. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I humbly request that they PLEASE stop having the characters look directly into the camera. It’s cheesy as hell. That’s Adam McKay’s influence, right? I’m losing respect for him because of this…

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Every time I watch this show I've got one eye on the screen and one on Google ... didn't know that was Norm Nixon's kid. And Norm and Debbie have been married for 40 years, outstanding.

Lt.Drebin likes this.
  6. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Obviously, genetics play a big part, but maybe the best portrayal on the show.

John C. Reilly looks pretty close to Buss, but I can't help but see a chain smoking, hard living Wreck-it Ralph on the screen, as many times as I've seen that movie with my son.

devaughn-nixon_1.jpeg Norm-Nixon.jpg

Lt.Drebin and playthrough like this.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

They got a timeline wrong but still an opportunity with McKinney. Said on the radio he was taking the Kings job. He did that in 1984-85 but this happened in WT in 1983-84. McKinney was still coaching the Pacers.

However, Jack McKinney went 1-8 in only 9 games with the Kings before leaving coaching for good. Had issues with remembering plays and names. The 8th game, dropping them to 1-7, is at the Lakers. Hopeful there is a scene on this. Doubt it. But hopeful.

Of course, I love they got a sneak release of “Let’s Dance” in May 1982, a full year before it came out. Sorry, that stuff bothers me because they got so many other little things exactly right.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Buss insisting he wasn't going to fire Westhead right up to Magic's outburst is about as wrong as it gets, for something so vital to the storyline.

9. exmediahack

I’m unsure how long WT will last on the timeline past this season.

Westhead gets the LMU job in 1985. There has to be something on this, maybe even in 1990 when Westhead is on the ride in the tourney and Riley wins coach of the year before his quiet firing.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

FWIW, the show seems like a long shot to get a renewal, between the cost of the cast, the kind of tepid reaction its now getting, and HBO shifting into cost-cutting mode.

11. exmediahack

I've figured as much. Have loved it!

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I think you're correct and that's a bummer. It's been a go-to for me. I've found it highly enjoyable.

Looks like it'll end in a bad place from the Lakers perspective. Would be great if they were allowed to at least finish the project with some sort of planned ending, but things certainly don't work that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted