1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, the point really is that while Jack McCloskey was a well regarded tactical coach, the main reason the Blazers ascended to the title was Walton's one solitary year of good health and full motivation to play. McCloskey was part of that, yeah, but he didn't invent a whole new revolutionary way of thinking about the game as "Winning Time" attempts to imply.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Jesus. Slater from Dazed and Confused played Tark.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Jack McKinney
    Trader Jack McCloskey was the Pistons GM
    I was confused too but I looked up McKinney and had forgotten about the bicycle accident

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Looks like Isiah Thomas wasn’t the only point guard who hated Adrian Dantley

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Those who know the history weren't surprised at the lingering shot on his bike on top of his car on the way to training camp about foreshadowing what is to come.

exmediahack likes this.
  6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And who knew Karin decided to give up on running a ballpark in the middle of an Iowa cornfield to run The Forum

7. Starman

Yes, brain fart. I remembered McKinney and McCloskey were not the same person.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  8. Starman

Would be hilarious to see a sequel to Field of Dreams with Karin running the ball field with accounting and legal advice from Uncle Mark, who has installed luxury boxes, an exploding scoreboard and ball girls dancing in bikinis.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I gotta say, as barely historical fiction, this show is a blast. And it's another intro I never skip.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

By episode 2, I was off of the “this hasn’t to be real” streak. It’s okay to be very fictionalized. Barely any of the timelines seem to match up but, what the hell, it’s eye candy for one part of the Lakers dynasty that doesn’t get enough attention — the start of it all in 79-80.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

George Gervin is a chef’s kiss.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Magic, Nixon, Cooper, Wilkes and Jabbar on the floor for the Lakers.

God, does that flashback to my childhood.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted