1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I've not paid much attention to this story, other than it happened. And just looking around a bit today... good gravy. A whole lot of people who didn't know the WNBA existed a couple of months ago are all-in. And of course it's culture war crap. So many experts!

It's clearly getting clicks, so it'll last a while. And it's exposure for the league, so that's likely a win for the WNBA in the long run.

But my goodness, the amount of dumbassery is astounding.

Edit to add: When Piers Morgan weighs in, you know it's going to be fucking stupid and the horse has been beaten to death, buried, dug up and beaten again.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Total shock when media hires shock jock to shock and then goes a shock too far.

Shocking.

Not shocking that ESPN sucks.

Jesus_Muscatel and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

It's taken its suckage to new depths. Have you heard that garbage on the radio???

Bring back Kornheiser's show, something like Dan Patrick did, even Mike & Mike, provided you get rid of the right Mike this time ...

The promo, "It's Greenie!!" makes me wanna lose my fuckin' lunch.

Inky_Wretch and TigerVols like this.
  4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

She needs to get in the weight room.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

And then there's the Chicago Tribune Editorial Board that really decided to up the ante by equating Satuday's inicident to an assault.

Webster likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who listens to something other than a live game on ESPN Radio gets exactly what they deserve.

7. Deskgrunt50

Oy vey. Didn't stuff like that make the rounds several years ago with an NHL player? I think it involved hitting somebody in the head with a stick. Which might have had a germ of truth. But "assault" for an off-ball shove in a basketball game? GTFO.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Todd Bertuzzi?

9. Deskgrunt50

That must be what I was thinking of... and obviously that was serious. And it was a 20-game suspension and a civil lawsuit settlement?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Only if they bring back the old mailbag theme music.

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I haven't watched ESPN's talking head shows or listened to ESPN radio in a decade. I have no clue how Pat McAfee is. I remember the days of watching Around the Horn and PTI and listening to Cowherd and Rome. Do we really still need a'holes giving their opinion of events? Inform me of what happened.
    There is nothing I love more sports wise than college football pregame and postgame shows. Those are people directly connected to the event and who were there. They give you insight.
    Talking head shows are the equivalent of me giving a hot take on a ballet recital or a math contest... which is the same as a screen door on a submarine: useless.

qtlaw and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. Deskgrunt50

There was a storyline on "30 Rock" years ago that lampooned those shows. The fictional one was "Sports Shout" and I always think of that when I come across one.

I don't watch them much, but if I'm interested in a particular topic, I'll stay for a little bit.

But yeah, I've largely lost my interest in "Sports Shout" across the board.

2muchcoffeeman and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted