1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

and the first time they don’t win when better players stay home, everyone is up in arms.

send the best you can. If someone declines or is injured that’s different

Steph hasn’t been on the team because of those two reasons

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If the difference between us beating Canada or someone in WBB is whether Clark replaces the 12th player, who has already been to five Olympics, we probably don't deserve to win.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They've left the best players home before - arguably in an attempt to grow the game - and been just fine.

The sport has not adjusted to Clark's popularity. Her superstardom is only about 18 months old, and it really, really took off in the last 9 months as the record approached.

I believe the players wanted more coverage of their sport, but on way different terms. The WNBA has had a terrible, combative relationship with the media, almost as if that's more authentic to be mercurial and rude, which is typical of leagues that have a so now you care attitude. Clark comes along, gives the sport incredible attention, and a lot of people aren't ready. Dawn Staley's ready. Geno Auriemma's ready. Because women's basketball is built for and around coaches. (And ESPN.) It has not and never has been truly built for the players, and it would not surprise if me if their performance suffered at the Olympics because of the tension around having to win and Clark being popular.

The irony is, Clark's ready. It's everyone else who's acting like they haven't been there before.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Jesus, no one who watches the game thinks she’s one of the best 12. The Clay Travis all stars can complain, but last time I checked, sports is a meritocracy— best 12 on the roster, best 5 on the floor.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  5. Della9250

I was referring to the men’s side, where there are teams that can actually beat us. The women’s side is a cakewalk

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

More accurate there than missing open layups and crickets from whomever is doing analysis on the game.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I just don't buy that for a second, whether I'm watching 50 WNBA games or not.

She stretches defenses, and she's an imaginative playmaker.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

She is very talented but, if you watch the games, she has not adjusted to the speed or physicality of the league and as a ball dominant guard, has almost a 1:1 assist to TO ratio. She’s probably in the top 20ish players in the USA pool at this point, but objectively doesn’t belong.

10. Della9250

and the rest of the team would know that, plus the last couple people left off for a spot. ( again, this is a program that is so strong that Becky hammon couldn’t make it) And they don’t want every third question about their Olympic experience to be about her. And I wouldn’t blame them

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not going to Paris could be a blessing. She's been nonstop hoops, more or less, since October.

I Should Coco likes this.
  12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Fun fact: When FIBA decided to let NBA players play in the Olympics the US voted against it.

Draft saved Draft deleted