1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Forces in FIBA began leaning towards making NBA players eligible in 1986; the matter continued "under discussion" through the '88 Games in Seoul when the disastrous loss by the John Thompson-coached US team fed the impression that international talent was catching up.
    Following the loss in Seoul, USA Basketball realized there wasn't much point in playing the immaculate amateurs any more, and decided to go along when FIBA finally opened the gates for 1992. I am pretty sure the U.S. was among the last, if not THE very last, of the national organizations which voted against admitting NBA players to FIBA events.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At some point, Caitlin Clark will be thankful for the extended time off. She's been playing regularly since November and can use the time to heal.

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it's been a lot of hoops for all of them but it may well be a blessing, yes, for all involved.

Again: The media will cover the team more, if only to spite the Clay Travis/Dave Portnoy narrative. So that'll happen. And the players will be able to able to wear a nobody-believes-in-us chip on their shoulder - wouldn't stun me if someone says "people said we couldn't win gold without Caitlin" - as they steamroll foes.

Could end up being a win-win. For a few months anyway.

It also won't surprise me if some Portnoy lines up some money tournament to run during the Olympics - and recruits Clark to it.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This, to me, really is a classic situation when both sides have legitimate arguments.

Clark isn’t one of the best 12 and could use some time off.

Clark is absolutely the biggest name and face of women’s basketball and should be on the team for publicity reasons and to get the Olympic experience, even if she doesn’t play much, to be even more prepared next time.

Fuck all the culture war shit. This is a good ol’ fashioned sports disagreement/discussion.

Had I been in charge, I think she’d be on the team, for no other reason than to be an international ambassador for women’s basketball. But from pure basketball standpoint (and I rely on others as I am in no way an expert) this is the correct call.

Either way it’s national conversation and exposure for women’s hoops and that’s a good thing. The argument will simmer till the next Olympics.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Effin' Whitlock.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Stepin Fatchit doin' his minstrel dance.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The Daily Mail aggregating Jason Whitlock. Clicking on that is a journey inside Satan’s asshole in August after Taco Bell. No thank you.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The reason Laettner was on the Dream Team was to keep a sort of attachment to the "amateur" part of the Olympics. We basically dropped a nuclear bomb with the Dream Team by sending the very best after the 1988 debacle and that, look, this is our sport, but we'll keep some sort of semblance of an "amateur" competition with this college guy. Otherwise, give us the gold. And, no, we're not taking the 1972 silver. Ever.

Webster and HanSenSE like this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And we all thought "If we don't win it's rigged" originated with Trump. :)

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for the blue font because there is no doubt 1972 was rigged.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted