1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Which is why the W has done the Fever dirty with the schedule. They're more interested in selling those tickets than worrying about their new star's longevity.

BTExpress likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A post above compared Clark's popularity to Jordan's in 1984. I pointed out that Magic and Bird --- not Jordan --- carried the torch that decade. Jordan's time was years away. Nobody needed to rush it (we had Lakers-Celtics). Clark's time (as an honest-to-goodness championship difference-maker) may be years away. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
    Liut likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Sorry missed someone making a Jordan riff

Liut likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

There should be a moratorium on presenting parallels to Clark's situation. It doesn't compare to anything.

Liut likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maravich maybe, but that's 50 years ago.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Being “the face of the league” and being “the best player in the league” are two different things.

Clark clearly is the former. But she’s got a ways to go in becoming the latter.

And that’s OK.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Cool explanation. Thanks.

2muchcoffeeman and Liut like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The league has had many great players, I don't know if it has had a player who may have embraced having so many younger fans though. Aside from Clark, is there another player you can think of as being an idol to young kids? And no, I'm not talking about someone's sexuality or race being a deal-breaker one way or another - I just can't think of a player who inspired the kind of fandom as Clark does among youngsters. I think of Lisa Leslie and Lobo and I just don't think they did, because they were too damn tall for kids to relate.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Thank you. I hated the title to that thread --- why trigger a negative emotional response before anyone even clicks the link? --- but the analysis was nicely thought out, even-handed and seemingly tried to cover every base possible given the passage of time.

Liut likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe Candace Parker.

I covered Elena Delle Donne in her younger days, and her hometown fans were as devoted as any I’ve ever seen.

Same with Dawn Staley.

Draft saved Draft deleted