1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Bird's rookie team also had Cedric Maxwell and Dave Cowens (and Pistol Pete coming off the bench, among others).

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Caitlin Clark reminds me a little of Mia Hamm, in that people who couldn’t name another women’s soccer player on the planet knew who Mia Hamm was.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I always thought Elena Delle Donne and Francesca Schiavone had the two prettiest female names among athletes.

Delle Donne looked as pretty as her name. Schiavone, not so much. :)

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's exactly what we're seeing with the usual screechers. They may know Griner from her time behind bars in Russia, and Taurasi cuz she like girlz, but they likely couldn't tell you a thing about the rest of the players.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I often wonder what would’ve happened if Delle Donne gave it a go at UConn.

That team already won three national titles during the years Delle Donne would’ve been there. Mind-boggling the caliber of players she’d have shared the court with (Maya Moore, Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart, just to name a few).

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Didn't get to it last night due to work, but are the comparisons uptopic to Bird, Magic and Jordan's impact uptopic really fair? They at least had a few months off between the end of their college seasons and training camp. Clark's been at it almost nonstop since October.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Fair really doesn't enter the discussion. Clark is expected to single-handedly raise her team to God Level, and why the hell hasn't it happened yet?

sgreenwell and HanSenSE like this.
  8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Didn't Jordan do the Olympics that summer? Not sure what USA basketball's schedule was in 1984. I'm guessing he was pretty busy from the end of the college season until the end of the Olympics. NBA season didn't start until late October, so that helped.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I remember this line from Geno in a story several years ago. He might have been right about the 150 wins in a row.

How Elena Delle Donne spurned Geno Auriemma only to reunite with him in the Olympics

MisterCreosote likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

None like this.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That Clark airball from (way) inside the free throw line the other day... oof.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Something has changed...

Draft saved Draft deleted