1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Jack-Johnson-1909.jpeg

gettyimages-514685300-1634223381.jpg

Jackie-Robinson-home-game-Boston-Braves-league-1948.jpeg

John_Carlos_Tommie_Smith_Peter_Norman_1968cr-Edit.jpg

Munich-1972.jpeg

It was never a simpler time.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Man, when will these savages just let our Corn Princess score in peace?!?

I fully expected the discourse around the WNBA to be stupid this season, but I was fully unprepared for this.

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

How is it stupider than any of the other discourse?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a lot of folks who never paid attention to the WNBA and were unaware of the talent level expected her to dominate like in college.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

1) The commentary in other sports tends to come from people with at least a vague familiarity with the sport or league.

2) The discourse in other leagues is generally not culture war bullshit masquerading as sports commentary. I've never seen anyone tweet "Those linebackers are trying to sack Josh Allen because they hate him because he's white!" That is the general tenor of WNBA commentary now. About 5 posts ago someone shared Twitter posts from a woman clutching her pearls at how Angel Reese and her terrible teammates are attacking poor Caitlin. Check out the rest of that woman's feed -- it's solid MAGA, anti-gay, anti-Islam shit.

7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

1) Very vague.

2) I get what you're saying and don't think you're wrong, but I think just as much happens in coverage of other things, but those things have much more coverage in general, so a lot of it gets lost.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Mayans, Iroquois, Celts, Romans and Greeks wonder what all the fuss is about. Humans have been competing ever since the second hominid stood up and outran the first one, then signed an NIL and bragged about it on social media.

Driftwood and franticscribe like this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

As long as they're playing the ball, it's a part of the game and it's one of five or six fouls you get. Take it inside and it's Hammer Time.

Make your FTs and make the other guy or girl STFU.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

2) Because she's a straight white woman, anyone who lays a hand on her is going to be portrayed by the right-wing screech machine as hostile to straight cis white women at large.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

CC is shooting .897 from the line. Until she starts banging in the 3PFG's, she ought to drive like a maniac every time down the court. Pick up some offensive fouls; leave tire tracks up a few defenders' chests.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    dixiehack, FileNotFound and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Has Nikki Haley weighed in yet on the flagrant foul call?

Draft saved Draft deleted