1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's a 3x3 league outside of the WNBA schedule. I guess a lot of these players were already playing "sanctioned" 3x3 events. Maybe this is just a more organized version.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The men's Olympic 3-on-3 uses a slightly smaller ball than the pros do. I would guess that makes it a complete non-starter for any player still chasing a traditional pro basketball career. I have no idea if it's different for the women.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I cannot eyeball a difference between a men's ball and a 28.5 women's ball. You have to look at the label on the ball. I have seen a high school boys' game stopped a minute in once when it was somehow realized they were playing with a 28.5 ball.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When officiating, holding the ball before the game, I can tell the difference without looking at the label. It's a difference, for sure.

franticscribe and sgreenwell like this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Chiming in to agree with MileHigh - If you play a lot of hoops, it's noticeable almost immediately. Much easier to palm and to shoot, once you get used to the slight difference in feel.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I coach my kid's rec basketball team in a pretty loosey-goosey league, and we sometimes wind up playing against girls teams when they need us to for scheduling purposes. Usually they match boys teams up with older girls to make it a little more fair, but it was a same-age matchup and we were clearly going to beat them down, so we used the girls ball to at least throw them some kind of a bone.

I had one ringer-type player, my kid's best friend, who plays on an AAU team and played for the middle-school team last year. I actually pulled him after he took a couple of jumpers in the first quarter, and when he came to the bench I said, "Stud Player, you know good and well your AAU coach doesn't want you taking jumpers with a girls ball. Get to the rim."

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

WE BACK BABY

franticscribe likes this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've watched a lot of the Indiana Fever this year, and I am pretty convinced that Clark would be averaging one more assist per game, and one less turnover per game if Katie Lou Samuelson wasn't on her team.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Katie Lou Samuelson had a DNP CD tonight, and 6 scoreless minutes the prior game. I could maybe be a WNBA coach.

sgreenwell and franticscribe like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Fever sit at 16-16. Bringing the White Sox up to a .500 record might be more impressive, but not by much. They have been wretched for almost a decade.

I Should Coco and franticscribe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted