1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Clark is doing much more than that. Season tickets in the lower bowl are gone and they released single-game tickets two at a time over a couple weeks to help with demand, and those flew too. Tix for weekend games are pretty much all gone. It's gonna be 15,000 per game or more.

I looked into season tickets a while back, figuring I'd take my youngest daughter to a few games and sell the rest, but chickened out at the thought of Clark having a season-ending injury and leaving me with useless paper.

Hermes likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

What amuses me about Doyel's eff up is, if you follow his Twitter feed at all, he's egregiously left-leaning so you'd think not being a pervy meathead to Clark would be a no-brainer.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

What a change in fortune for a franchise that was playing at the fairgrounds coliseum just a few years ago.

playthrough likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They are going to draw more than 8,000

Tickets to Caitlin Clark’s Indiana Fever debut more than double NBA playoff courtside seats

PaperClip529 and Hermes like this.
  5. poindexter

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That’s a little bit of an anomaly given the shitstorm that engulfed Oakland, isn’t it?

I mean, the historically shitty sports town of Miami is second-lowest, but it’s consistently drawing 14,000-plus to see the Marlins.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Doyel is more likely to get a pat on the back than a firing for that performance.

How much attention, and most importantly how many page views, do you think he brought to the Star yesterday alone, and will in the future, based on people wanting to see what he writes and does next?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Good for Clark and good for women’s basketball if the attendance skyrockets.

I’ve always enjoyed watching the Mystics, and I’ve been following Elena Delle Donne since she was in high school.

But the Mystics can still barely fill a 4,000-seat arena most days, and that was when Delle Donne, arguably the best player in the game, was still active and they were the best team in the league.

9. poindexter

The slashed budget A's being horribly run, producing a shitty product on the cheap is not an anomaly. It's pretty much their 21st century DNA.

It's a feature, not a bug.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if the pageviews would be as much as one would think. The viral thing was the video clip. Maybe his apology got some views -- though on the Star's site this morning I couldn't find it and his other columns were not prominent.

And if people really want to see what middle-aged-white-man does next while writing about the WNBA, have fun with that.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The lame duck aspect is certainly an anomaly.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Right, but if you’re plotting when is the best time to play your sports league, you’re looking to avoid the major gravitational events, the ones that suck up all the nation’s attention. Baseball, at this point, is so far from controlling the national narrative that it is not something that WNBA execs need to be wary of. Sure, more people watch it, but not enough "more people" that WNBA can't find a healthy audience in what's leftover. Summer itself — longer days, vacations, etc. — is a greater issue, but presumably still preferable to going head-to-head against the NFL or other basketball leagues. No one's claiming the WNBA is about to rival the NFL in popularity, just that the steady growth in relevance it has seen in the last five years will get an even more significant boost from Clark and this class of draftees.

Draft saved Draft deleted