1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WNBA thread… 28.5 ain’t your pay cut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Apr 15, 2024.

Tags:
  1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

This is a very good point and I agree with this. I understand why the follow-up was an issue. But the initial line of questioning was well within bounds, IMO.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Potentially but that would have to be introduced very carefully -- we've already seen examples of prohibiting/discriminating against certain hairstyles in the workplace being portrayed as cultural discrimination and legislated against as such. Obviously, it's a different situation with something like artificial nails since that's much more of a choice than hair texture, but you're going to go down a very thorny path if you're seen attempting to limit the expression of Black women, especially when it will be portrayed as being for the protection of/at the behest of a white woman.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Did you intentionally try to stab someone in the eye with your sharp fingernail?" is an appropriate line of questioning?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sharp overlong nails are an injury threat to all players of all races.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2024
    2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It is when you subscribe to the narrative that Brennan clearly subscribes to.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

So this is Brennan's narrative? My question would be, why did it take Christine Brennan, the national champion of women's sports, to ask this question? The play, even if unintentional, at least looks very much intentional, especially when slowed down. If this were an isolated incident -- up to and including laughing with a teammate later -- maybe questioning it would deserve scrutiny. But this shit has been going on all year. Michael Jordan got less abuse from the Bad Boy Piston teams than Clark has gotten all year, as if some league-wide initiative hazing had to take place for the hotshot rookie. Of course someone needed to ask if it was intentional and of course the other player involved was going to say it wasn't. So Brennan et al should just accept that answer and move on? Are there any journalists left here? Brennan asked perfectly appropriate questions. There were more to be asked, but society has deemed them inappropriate, so we're left to wonder. In this case, the W doth protest too much, methinks.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

They were laughing after Mabrey hit a huge 3 and did the Carmelo Anthony 3-pointer celebration. That was reported in several places, including Brennan’s own publication.

The narrative that there has been some organized, season-long, league-wide hazing initiative against Clark is patently ridiculous. Some calls may have been questionable, and a few may have been hard fouls, but certainly no harder than others that happen during the course of a physical game. That doesn’t take into account that Clark flops more than LeBron James. That also doesn’t take into account that Brennan is writing a book about how Clark is “saving” the sport from itself.

I’m not a journalist anymore, and I’m ashamed that I spent as much time in the industry as I did. The question was asked of both players and they both said it wasn’t intentional. The “But you LAUGHED two and a half quarters later so you must be LYING!” is as ridiculous a follow-up as I’ve heard.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

No, that's not the narrative, which is why I used the words "as if." If the kind of stuff that happened to Clark all season happens during the course of most games, someone would have put up a highlight tape of that, don't you think? Fact is, it doesn't happen to everyone. The blatant cheap shots we've seen all season have been pretty consistent.

Sorry you're not a journalist anymore. You must've been awesome at it. Especially given your use of quotation marks.

9. MisterCreosote

I was an awesome journalist.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've watched the Fever for years and have never seen a player take a beating over the course of a season the way Clark did this year. Yeah she flops a lot and yeah she invites a little bit of it with the way she plays, but the idea that what we saw with her this season was normal is strange to me.

I'm glad her rookie season is over. I look forward to watching her play next year after she's had a regular off season and more practice with her teammates. Perhaps naively, I keep hoping this narrative will die down a little as I do expect her to be less of a target for the egregious stuff next season. Clearly she's earned respect from a lot of other players in the W that I don't think was there before the Olympic break.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

all eyes matter

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Clark was flagrantly fouled six times this year in 40 games. Once every 6.66 games.

In 2023, Satou Sabally (black) was flagrantly fouled four times in 38 games. Once every 9.5 games.

In 2022, Aerial Powers (black) was flagrantly fouled five times in 35 games. Once every 7 games.

Draft saved Draft deleted