1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Can't Make this stuff up: Armless, legless girl and wants to cheerlead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 15, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All the lessons she'll ever need, huh? So, you think she is excempt from having to face genuine competition in anything because of her handicap? I guess the school's basketball team should be forced to take her, too.

But I guess you are against teaching a handicapped person about class, right?

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This post reminds me of the one-legged guy from my town that everyone hated. He was 3 years older than me and was a complete asshole with a very nasty personality. He was on the swim team when I was a kid and later a football manager for the high school football team. On a couple of occasions the paper wrote features on him overcoming his disability, yada, yada, yada. There were a couple of other disabled kids in my town who were loved, but this guy was a complete ass.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, oop, if that's what you've concluded from my posts here than, heck, knock yourself out. fine with me.

yeah, you've capture it perfectly. that's just what i'm saying. ::) ::) ::)

4. outofplace

No, what I have captured perfectly is the reality of what you are suggest, not the intent. You look at this girl's story and just think of someone to pity and nothing more. I see someone who still needs to grow up into an adult and find a way to live in the adult world.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

good for you, man. tough love, all the way. ;) ::) ???

6. outofplace

There is a difference between tough love and assuming the entire world is going to bend to your kid's ever whim for her entire life. She's old enough to start dealing with reality and understand that there are some things she just isn't going to be able to do in this world.

We all have limits that we have to learn to live with. Hers are just more obvious.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes, if only an armless, legless teenager in an American high school had some sort of challenge to face in order to build her character and better herself.

8. outofplace

So, I guess mommy and daddy raise hell with every company that doesn't give her a job or every guy who won't date her or any other time she doesn't get what she wants for the rest of her days?

Sounds to me like she has plenty of character. It is the parents who need to let her be a real person facing real challenges rather than just an object of pity.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again.

An armless, legless girl in an American high school, and you're going to stand on she doesn't know how to deal with reality?

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Again, it depends on the type of cheer team we're talking about here.

Many, many high school cheerleading teams compete in local, state and sometimes "national" competitions. If the high school cheerleading team is that type of team, I can absolutely understand why she would not be allowed to join. She would not be able to complete the competition routines.

If, however, it's a team that just cheers at school events, then I would agree there should be no physical limitation to her joining. But most high school cheer teams go well beyond that now. I was in competitive choirs for a long time, and I would have been pissed if a deaf kid without a sense of pitch was put in group because while it might have been a great gesture for the kid, it's also ignoring the spirit of the group as a competitive entity.

It's not been made clear what type of cheer squad this school runs, so I don't know where I stand on this particular case. But I don't think it's nearly as simple as the "she deserves it because of all the other challenges she'd faced" crowd wants to make it seem.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

only in a (juvenile) attempt to lighten the mood a bit, ive you this thread from the 'journalism' board: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/85125/

now, back to our mock supreme court discourse....

12. outofplace

No, I'm saying her parents don't seem to know how to deal with reality.

But other posters keep insisting that forcing some girl who earned a place on the team to give it up would somehow teach that girl a lesson, so this is a way to toss their silly argument back at them.

Draft saved Draft deleted