1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You get to save ONE person

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jul 15, 2024.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The catch is that you have to make the 1978 Eagles not hate each other. Good luck! Gonna need it!

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dr Fauci.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Freddy Mercury

I’d say Emma Watson, but I’m already getting too old. I would rather not keep her on ice for an ancient Spartan.

misterbc likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My mom? Love her cooking

ok #24.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

George Saunders

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Interesting brain teaser I mused on the way to the urologist's office this morning...

If you could save one person from the Clear Lake plane crash, would it be Buddy Holly or Ritchie Valens? J.P. Richardson was a fine DJ and all, but "Chantilly Lace" was a one-hit wonder. Although he penned "White Lightning" and "Running Bear," two massive country smashes.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The rock and roll fan says Buddy Holly. The grandson of a Mexican immigrant says Ritchie. But saving Valens means we probably still get American Pie just not the “I can’t remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride.” Hits you in the feels.

SFIND, I Should Coco, Slacker and 2 others like this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Liut and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Yeah, while the Bopper's body was in extremely good condition based on the amount of time he had been buried, they found multiple fractures consistent with him being killed instantly after being hurled from the aircraft.

Sadly, Jay Richardson died in 2013.

https://northiowatoday.com/2013/08/22/jay-richardson-son-of-the-big-bopper-has-passed-away/

I walked out to the crash site in about two feet of snow when covering a feature for NASCAR.com that took me to Cresco, Iowa to interview the people that made the Featherlite car haulers. I didn't think I'd ever get any closer to Clear Lake, so made the detour. Didn't get inside the ballroom but drove around it.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if Holly or Valens would have had careers in the '60s. Valens would still pop up on those "oldies" tours in the '70s and '80s play three or four songs then make way for The Coasters, The Drifters or Dion. I think Holly may have moved on to producing/writing - become what Phil Spector was.

maumann likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't really know what makes the boundaries of "celebrity", but in this day and age . . . Dwight Eisenhower.

SFIND, Liut, maumann and 1 other person like this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Would there have been the mainstream popularity of the radio-friendly groups you named without Holly to lead the way? I'll add that Nashville delayed its move from its deep-fried niche by at least two decades when they gave a cool reception to the boys from Lubbock.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
    Liut and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted